Author Topic: "Disk 0 Master Boot Record" problem in Scan Log  (Read 5444 times)

Tuddley3

"Disk 0 Master Boot Record" problem in Scan Log
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:49:44 AM »
I have also submitted a ticket for this for starters.

Today when I checked my weekly scan log, I noticed it was highlighted in red. So I selected "View Results" and it opened the window that asks you to select the line you want and choose what you want to do with it. Normally when Avast finds an infected file, it automatically puts it in the Virus Chest. So I decided to select that from the options below and submit it to the Chest, but the "Apply" button remained grayed out. So now I have an infected file sitting in limbo, and I can't move it, delete it, repair it, or "do nothing" with it.

This is the first time I've come across this situation in the 2 years I've used Avast. I don't know if it's a glitch, or if it is because of the file that is infected (Maybe if the "Master Boot Record" is damaged, it can't be fixed).

I'll attach a screenshot...

Thank you,
Todd

Gargamel360

Re: "Disk 0 Master Boot Record" problem in Scan Log
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:07:36 AM »
Well, if that is not an FP, Alureon is some serious malware.  
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32%2FAlureon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alureon
Being in the MBR is probably the reason it can not be moved.  If you have the boot-time scan at your disposal, that might deal with it, but as it is a pass-stealer, if the boot-scan does the job, you would want to change all you passwords afterwords.

If boot scan doesn't work, or you want an expert to look you over to make double sure you are clean, see this guide for further instructions>>http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

edit: btw, your email is showing public, you can hide it via the forum profile settings.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:12:25 AM by Gargamel360 »

Tuddley3

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:45:55 AM »
I have Malwarebytes, I'll try that. Thanks

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
Hello,
if you are using Windows, try "fixmbr" from installation CD.

Milos

Offline misak

• Avast team
    • Personal page (CZE)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
Well, if that is not an FP, Alureon is some serious malware.  

This detection is correct. It's MBR rootkit and was dropped by Win32:Alureon. As Milos said, boot from Windows installation CD/DVD and use "fixmbr".

Tuddley3

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
You can mark this thread as FIXED !!!

Yes, I chose the Recovery Console with the "fixmbr" command and that took care of it immediately. I'll run another full scan with Avast today. Another good thing is that I no longer need to insert the Recovery disk when rebooting the system like I have had to do for almost 2 months now.

Thanks everyone, and Happy New Year

Todd