Author Topic: 5.1.889 errors with W7-64  (Read 4588 times)

EGHelmut

5.1.889 errors with W7-64
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
Hello service team (Sorry it was translatet by computer from German).

I have the following problem:

so far, I used the freeware version of AVAST to my full satisfaction.
My operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
The hardware is State of the art and even a half year old.

Everything worked very well up to version 5.1.864!
Program updated to 5.1.889, shall be observed:

I can get only a few mail with my pop program and the query takes minutes (previously approx. 1 second) the rest is marked as failed.
Stop the mail protection i.e. Turning off amazingly, nothing brings.

Internet access goes on strike suddenly (with all browsers).

The problem is reproducible. After you apply the previous version via partition restore everything is back. Any new programs or updates to the system have been applied in between also!

The version 5.1.864 indemnify also works with the latest virus definitions.

In your HP support I could my problem not find 'googling' didn't work.

Could you please help me I am sure nothing wrong and my hardware is OK!

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

H. Rossmaier

YoKenny

Re: 5.1.889 errors with W7-64
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
Your best bet it to post in:
avast!WEBforum | avast! support forums | International zone | Deutsch
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=24.0

Asyn speaks German and can help you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
Hello EGHelmut and welcome to the forum,

Since you updated Avast from 5.1.864 to 5.1.889, I suggest that you do an uninstall and clean (fresh) install of Avast 5.1.889 to fix your problem.

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast for the product you need and save it to your HDD:

Build 5.1.889 download files:
Free:    http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all Avast versions and products). 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall all previous versions you had on this machine at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.  Thank you.

y2ken

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
I'm using Avast! Free Edition w/ Windows7 Home Premium 64bit. I just installed the latest program update from my current version of 5.0.677 to the newest version and upon rebooting found that my PC was HOSED! None of my installed programs would work! I was getting a variety of different error messages.
Luckily I back my entire installation every day with "Acronis True Image Home 2011" but even THAT wouldn't work from within Windows so I had to use the Acronis Boot/Rescue Disk in order to get my system back.
Love Acronis, but I'm feeling no love for Avast! right now.

EGHelmut

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »
Thank you for your welcome to the Forum.

I followed your instruction and downloaded the German versions me (proggy and cleaner)
Additionally I cleaned the system (registry, etc.) with my 'Total uninstall 5'.

After reinstalling and registering the W7 64 bit ran again correctly!  :)

Thank you for the very prompt and effective assistance.

Helmut

Offline Quibbler

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
I can get only a few mail with my pop program and the query takes minutes (previously approx. 1 second) the rest is marked as failed.

Had same problem with email. Not sure if relevant in your case, but user has to let Avast take over securing email addresses instead of having the mail client do it. Remove SSL encryption in the web client by using default (non secure) ports ... send SMTP = port 25; receive POP3 = port 110; receive IMAP = port 143.  Un-tick "This server requires a secure SSL connection" for each email address.  Go into Avast Mail Shield "Settings" and manually make sure each mail server shows with the relevant SECURE SSL setup:  SMTP = port 465; POP3 = port 995 and IMAP = port 993.

If user sets SSL ports in the mail client, Avast (in my case anyway) times-out the servers and you can't use your email.  It doesn't have to make sense.  :-\

Barean

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:07 AM »
Well, for me the cleaning and then reinstalling did not work. The system ran correctly again, after I ran the cleaner. However, right after I installed the latest free version, trouble started again.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »
@ Barean,

Can you give me more information about your system: OS, RAM, what kinds of problems are you having?  What version are you trying to install now?