Author Topic: Scan completed, 50 virus found, will not allow me to transfer them to viruschest  (Read 5271 times)

PickledPepper

Did a complete scan, Avast results shows a list of 50 virus found.  Upon clicking which action to apply to them, which was transfer all to the chest, the apply button doesnt work nor will it let me transfer any of the virus found, to the chest.

I have tried multiple times , including closing the window and coming back to Results and opening it again, to no avail.

Please advise.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

Can you post a screen shot of the results?

PickledPepper

Hello and thank you for your assistance.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:24:06 PM by PickledPepper »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I cant see the picture. Please upload it to imgur.com and give the link.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Alright,

Nothing to worry. Avast is detecting windows defender's memory which contains signatures to malwares as viruses. Defender is using unencrypted signatures, so its not avast's problem.

Disable windows defender for a few days and wait for a update on avast antivirus database so that these exclusions are added to it. Or may be you can completely stop using windows defender. Avast also has a antispyware engine.

PickledPepper

ahhh, ok.  Thank you kindly for your patience, knowledge and assistance!

Its very much appreciated!!!!

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
ahhh, ok.  Thank you kindly for your patience, knowledge and assistance!

Its very much appreciated!!!!
You're Welcome.

You may also want to try adding it to the exclusion in avast interface if you want to keep the win defender running. Just goto avast UI and click the settings on the top right corner, click exclusions in the left hand column, browse for msmpeng.exe and add it to the list. This exclusion works for manual & scheduled scans. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:41:21 PM by nmb »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
This happens when you play with the scan settings and not knowing what will happen
I guess you made a custom scan and sett it to scan memory ?

I recomend using the default scans quick/full then you avoid this

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
The file msmpeng.exe belongs to Windows Defender.

hm....avast has made an interesting mistake false ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
<snip>
You may also want to try adding it to the exclusion in avast interface if you want to keep the win defender running. Just goto avast UI and click the settings on the top right corner, click exclusions in the left hand column, browse for msmpeng.exe and add it to the list. This exclusion works for manual & scheduled scans. 

There is little point in excluding the msmpeng.exe as it isn't infected and exclusion of the file doesn't exclude or ignore its activity or the signatures it loads into memory.

@ PickledPepper
- Detections in Memory - My guess is that you are doing a Custom scan in which you have elected to scan Memory and that all these detections are in memory or are listings of files that can't be scanned. Since they aren't physical files they can't be moved to the chest, deleted, etc. so there is no action that can be taken, hence the Apply button being greyed out.

The detections in memory are frequently other security applications loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory. Having set off a scan of memory by an antivirus application looking for virus signatures, don't be too surprised if it finds some in memory.

So either use the Quick or Full system scans or Drop the memory scan in the Custom scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The file msmpeng.exe belongs to Windows Defender.

hm....avast has made an interesting mistake false ...

No false positive, as avast isn't detecting msmpeng.exe as infected, but the unencrypted virus signatures that it is loading into memory.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
No false positive, as avast isn't detecting msmpeng.exe as infected, but the unencrypted virus signatures that it is loading into memory.

...my mistake. I apologize  ;)   :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No need to apologise, we only know because we have seen this before. The first time you see it, it is easy to misunderstand what the information is telling you.