Author Topic: Vista Premium 32 did not shut down properly after 5.1.889 update  (Read 3364 times)

dford3772

I've checked the event viewer but can't find a clear reason or software hangup.  My system crashed and recovered when I booted today.
Don't really know where to turn from here.

Any others with this same problem?
Donna in AR

swarnava

Re: Vista Premium 32 did not shut down properly after 5.1.889 update
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:54:36 PM »

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

warlock

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
+1, did this on my fathers notebook (also 32bit Vista). Additionally, after the recovery, avast couldn't start any shields. I had to do a complete uninstall/reinstall, that fixed it fortunately.

dford3772

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »
I ran vista checkdisk first and was going to do other cleanup tools as well.

After the disk check I was told the machine would not start and did I want
to run repair tool.  I did that and it hung for a while and has now gone back to diskcheck
again.  I think I'm in a loop of some kind but I do not know anything to do other
than finish checking disk again.  Then what can I do to escape because repair did not work.
It also asked if I wanted to restore but I said no which may have been a mistake.

I need to know how to get out of this mess.  I am running 5.1.889 on my laptop with no problems
yet so I thought it might be a hard drive failure on my Acer desktop. The first disk check showed no problems
but who knows.I think it will try to restart and can't so what do I do?
Donna in AR

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »
Even if you do not use IE7 it is best to update to at least IE8 as it is more secure and IE9 is even better.

IE is used for all of Windows.

Please read
Windows Explorer is a file manager  application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows  operating system  from Windows 95  onwards. It provides a graphical user interface  for accessing the file systems . It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor  such as the taskbar  and desktop . Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). It is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell , explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

Vista SP2 is available as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:32:55 PM by YoKenny »

dford3772

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
I have managed to get the machine rebooted fully.  However, Avast definitions failed while the machine was down and now it says
the package is broken.  ??????

My diskcheck said no bad sectors of course the HD could still be going out. I think an uninstall re-install of Avast is needed
because as the package is broken it can't update the definitions.  Frankly, I fear the Avast update last night caused the loop
effect and now I'm afraid to begin the removal and re-install process.
Donna