Author Topic: AvastUI.exe - Entry Point not found  (Read 29951 times)

buddyhamms

AvastUI.exe - Entry Point not found
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:33:25 AM »
System Config:
Dell Optiplex G270
2.4GHZ P4 with HT
2GB memory
153GB HD
Windows 7

The Error window is the first thing you see at startup.  It reads AvastUI.exe - Entry Point not found with the Error being: The procedure entry point dep_osIsBasedOnNt could not be located in the dynamic link library aswCmnB.dll.  The error appeared after the missing ashBase.dll, this wend away after I completely turned off avast via msconfig, any service or startup was disabled.  Afterward, I restart computer and before Win 7 fully loaded the above error message appears; once loaded, Win7 is very slugish and doesnt respond.  Anyways, I try to uninstall it but that doesnt work either.  I try to run avast and same error message pops up.  Any ideas? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

CharleyO

Re: AvastUI.exe - Entry Point not found
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:35:10 AM »

Have you tried a repair of avast through Add/remove programs or the similar in W7?

argus

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »
You can never completely exclude AV.

Instructions to uninstall Avast >>  http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Dreger

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
Had the same problem... the problem started when my Windows 2000 was updated with new patches on April 12, 2011.   I had to uninstall patch kbf2467174
http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-free-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/829
I then had to uninstall avast software, reboot and reinstall.  This fixed my problem.
It appears that kbf2467174 is a patch for c++ 2008 probably for the mscrt70.dll file.  Some people had mentioned that if you install visual C++ express software package, it will
fix the problem as well. This problem also took out my quickcam software as well.  Hopefully Microsoft will fix this issue.

Ian Seale

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
I have exactly the same problem.

However, I cannot find patch kbf2467174 in 'Add/Remove Programs'

How can you remove this patch?
and is it safe/wise to do so?
Does Avast have a fix for this?

Ian Seale

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »
Hi,

Not good news, I'm afraid.
I went to this site:
http://visual-c.en.softonic.com/download#pathbar
to download
Visual C++ Express Edition 2005
unistalled Avast after the download & indstall (which took ages)
re-installed Avast - and it still didn't work.
Checked MS update and Visual C++ Express Edition 2005 needed an update - did that - took ages.
Avast still didn't work.
Uninstalled and re-installed avast - still no go.
Checked MS update AGAIN and Visual C++ Express Edition 2005 needed ANOTHER update - did that - took even longer.
Uninstalled and re-installed avast - AND STILL NO GO.

Still getting the message here:
http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-free-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/829

Ian Seale

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
Still no joy.

Spotted my mistake and downloaded:
Visual C++ 2008 Redistibutable
The the Avast Software removal tool.
Removed Avast in Safe Mode.
Reinstalled Avast with Visual C++ 2008 installed
and?
No bloody difference!

Tried to download Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition - but it doesn't install on Windows 2000.

Help!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:55:00 PM by Ian Seale »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »
I'd say installing Visual C++ Express is a bit overkill - all you need is the corresponding Redistributable.
However, you need 2008 SP1 - not just 2008.

Ian Seale

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package Update
as part of my MS Update.
However, I downloaded the file:
vcredist_x86.exe (SP1)

from this website:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=05ce856d-8128-408b-96fa-5e1f57b097d8&displaylang=en

and on running it, it went into 'repair' mode as I already had it from the MS update I ran.

STILL NO DIFFERENCE - AVAST WON'T RUN.

Thank god I didn't put all my eggs in one basket and I'm running separate fire wall software.

Although I like Avast, I can't stay without protection for long and will have to switch if there's no fix forthcoming.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:20:44 PM by Ian Seale »

Ian Seale

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:01 PM »
Updated Avast to build 6.0.1086.

Still won't load - same error message.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
There's nothing we can do about it in a program update - it's the Microsoft's library that refuses to load.

avast! installer has the older version inside, possibly the same one you downloaded (though it might have been updated in between as well?) - but you'd need to uninstall the "fixed" version first, i.e. to make sure you don't have that mfc90.dll file anywhere in Windows folder.

Ian Seale

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
Igor,

Thanks for the reply, but can you spell out what I need to do?
I've read and re-read what you wrote and I can't make out what the fix is.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:51:14 PM »
Well, you downloaded the 2008 SP1 redistributable installer - hopefully not updated by the latest "security update". The same installer is actually contained inside of the avast! installation package.
Now, you have to install it somehow.
Since installing it in the usual way will most likely fail (because you already have a newer version installed - as you said, it falls back to "Repair", and I'd say it doesn't actually change anything because it finds a newer version).

So I'd say - try to uninstall the redistributable, if possible (not the update, the whole redistributable) - and then try to install (the previous version) from scratch.
If not possible to uninstall it... well, it might be possible to remove/rename some files, such as mfc90.dll, manually... but there's chance of breaking things there.

Ian Seale

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »
Igor,

I've sorted it.  All working fine now.

I followed the instructions here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/51955563-7ea5-4afc-aede-a2b33cf66c9d

I could have sorted this ages ago, but Dregor posted the wrong file name (typo) "I had to uninstall patch kbf2467174"

And yes, when I re-installed Avast, as you say:
"The same installer is actually contained inside of the avast! installation package".
I saw the file name flash past on the install and was shocked to recognise it from the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 upgrade.

OK - I'm fine now.  But why the hell is Avast containing the same software as in a MS security upgrade?  I can see how there might be a conflict.
Better, surely, to remove the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 .exe file from Avast and let Microsoft handle that.

Anyone else on Windows 2000 with the same problem follow the instructions at the link here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/51955563-7ea5-4afc-aede-a2b33cf66c9d
it worked for me, and it'll save you a lot of wasted time and messing about.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »
No, avast! doesn't contain the problematic redistributable updated last week - it contains the previous one, the one which works on Windows 2000.
As for not including the redistributable at all... that would be definitely a bad idea; the user would install avast! - which wouldn't work at all, and the installer would tell you "first you have to download something from Microsoft website, then the program starts working"?