Author Topic: Web shield  (Read 4967 times)

atha

Web shield
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I have used Avast for a couple of years and never had any trouble. Now I have downloaded a new version with the web shield. Many times I can not access a website or it takes a while before I can. When I turn it off everything works fine. If I try to turn it on again I can't. It just wont.
I best leave it off until they fix what ever is wrong with the web shield. Allthough I would prefer it to work properly.

I'm using armor2net as firewall and avast is passed through.

Hermite15

Re: Web shield
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »
I have no idea when the web shield was introduced exactly but that's not new at all ;D Just FYI it was already there in version 4.*

Now there are people losing internet access in browsers when the web shield is enabled, and I sincerely have no idea what causes that... proxy issue (web shield proxy), whatever... all I can suggest is make sure that port 12080 is not blocked by your firewall, and otherwise attempt a repair or a new install from scratch.

atha

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
I've been using the version with the umbrella icon. Never bothered to download a new version.
Port 12080 seems to be passed through the firewall.

Well, I lived without the web shield before, so I can live with it in the future, I guess :)

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
I've been using the version with the umbrella icon. Never bothered to download a new version.
Port 12080 seems to be passed through the firewall.

Well, I lived without the web shield before, so I can live with it in the future, I guess :)

the umbrella icon ??? :D you're sure you're posting on the right forum? ... this icon is Avira's icon :D

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

MAG

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
@atha
I think Gopher John may be suggesting that there may be a problem with residual fragments of a previous AV (avira), and that you should remove it using the removal tool.

This is usually done in safe mode.

Afterwards you may also need to do an avast repair (add/remove programs, avast, scroll down to repair) or an uninstall/re-install if you are still having problems.

Ignore - see further comment from jwall.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:29:09 PM by mag »

jwall

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »
http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-removal-tool

Just my $.02 worth, this site is not working at the moment, but if I remember correctly, I think the file Gopher John refers to is for removing viruses.
In my experience, Avira does a good job when you remove it through add/remove programs.  You should, however, run the avira registry cleaner which is available on their support site.  It's a .zip file.  You don't have to run it in safe mode, but I have always used it and I select all registry items and it's been ok for me.  Of course, anytime you mess with the registry, use caution.

I've gone back and forth between avast and avira and thils is how I've cleaned out avira.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:23:57 PM by jwall »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
I had some trouble connecting to Avira's site before I posted that.  However, I was finally able to connect before I posted.

I just tried it and was able to download removaltool-win32-en.exe from the Avira site.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

MAG

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
I had some trouble connecting to Avira's site before I posted that.  However, I was finally able to connect before I posted.

I just tried it and was able to download removaltool-win32-en.exe from the Avira site.
But the link appears to be to their virus removal tool, not their antivirus product removal tool - is that what you intended?

jwall

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »

But the link appears to be to their virus removal tool, not their antivirus product removal tool - is that what you intended?

That's what I'm trying to say, you need to run the registry cleaner tool.
It's a zip file.
did you read my previous post?

jwall

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
Oops, sorry Gopher.  I meant this for mag.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »
- Avira AntiVir Uninstall Package & RegistryCleaner (choose appropriate version): http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html, Avira RegistryCleaner. http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-registrycleaner

- Also see, How to Remove Antivir Antivirus
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallantivir.shtml

Uninstall Avira Antivir Completely
http://www.themisteriosos.com/uninstall-avira-antivir-completely.htm
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:15:55 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
I had some trouble connecting to Avira's site before I posted that.  However, I was finally able to connect before I posted.

Actually, no. :-[  My mistake.  And the virus removal utility is outdated at year 2009.

All the Avira links that DavidR provided are connected quickly now.  Not sure why the problems with the Avira site earlier this morning.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:57:38 PM by Gopher John »

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
okay guys, obviously there's one thing that you're not taking into account. The OP is apparently completely unaware that he upgraded "Avira to Avast" ;D ... meaning that I don't even know what he's got currently on his system. You're all hurrying to tell him to clean his system and get rid of Avira completely, which might not be at all what he wants. So please stop that guys; let's wait until the OP finally posts back here and tell us if he wants to keep Avira or switch to Avast. This would be fair to say the least.

Again, I'm absolutely amazed guys by the way this thread has been derailed ::) ... could be that the OP needs an Avast cleaner instead okay? And again stop debating about Avira cleaners, that's ridiculous, and completely off topic. Chances are that the OP downloaded Avast5 while thinking that he was downloading the latest version of Avira alright?

MAG

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
An evangelist who isn't seeking to convert a lost soul! :D

(but seriously, you'e quite right)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:18:41 PM by mag »