Author Topic: Shields not working and internet won't connect with last update  (Read 5082 times)

Zadion

Shields not working and internet won't connect with last update
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »
I have a fairly old laptop (~ 4 years, and it's a Windows XP) that has been running avast just fine for the last 7 or so months. As soon as I updated though I started having issues. When my computer starts I get a notification from avast saying the mail shield is disabled (something like that) and to check my firewall (the error is 10022 if that helps any). I noticed afterward that both the Web Shield and Mail Shield refuse to turn on - when I attempt to "fix" by turning them on it simply doesn't do anything at all. Finally all internet connection seems to stop completely. Web browsers refuse to load any pages, programs that take the internet won't connect, and even avast's update can't check for updates without notifying me of an error in connection. Despite the error's warning of a firewall issue, I have no other firewalls installed (I'm using the Internet Security package so I didn't see a reason to have a separate firewall) outside of Windows Firewall, which I leave shut off anyway to avoid the compatibility errors of having two firewalls running.

I attempted a system restore to an earlier date before the update to fix this, and the earlier version works just fine - I have none of the issues listed with it. It started off saying it was expired and I had to renew it, but reentering the license fixed that issue.
So far, I've uninstalled avast (twice). One time, I had to do a system restore to bring avast back. The second time I reinstalled via the Internet Security trial and reentering the license. As soon as I did, I had the same issue as before (I'm assuming the trial includes the new update). I've done a spyware and adware search to see if anything could be messing with avast, and I've also done a full search for other programs that might be interfering and have found nothing.

It's only one of three computers I have and the other two are working just fine with the update - I can't figure out why this one is screwing up. Does anyone have any advice as to how I could fix the issue? Should I just leave the old version?

Also, whenever I try to Task Manager close avast (I can't figure out any other way of closing it), it won't let me and tells me "access is denied." I have no idea if that is meant to happen or not, but I am running on an administrator account - actually, it's the only user account on the computer.

Thanks for assistance in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Shields not working and internet won't connect with last update
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
I've done a spyware and adware search to see if anything could be messing with avast, and I've also done a full search for other programs that might be interfering and have found nothing.
Which is the antispyware product? Which are the possible other interfering (security) programs?
Do you ThreatFire?
The best things in life are free.

hansook

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
do u know how to hack email's password?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
do u know how to hack email's password?
What does this has anything to do with the original thread?
Are you looking for hacking in a security site? ???
The best things in life are free.

Zadion

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:03 AM »
I've got Spybot on it. That and Ad-Aware are the only other protection programs I have on the laptop, and neither were interfering before the update. I have Spybot on another computer as well and, as I said, I have no problems with avast working on it.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:09:39 AM »
I reinstalled via the Internet Security trial and reentering the license. As soon as I did, I had the same issue as before
Are you still using a valid trial AIS license?  The license is only good for 30 days, then it expires unless you purchase the software and you get a new Key emailed to you.  When you did a System Restore, it sounds like you went back to using a Trial version.  Do you have a purchased version of AIS with a key?  If so, this purchased key is the one you should be using. 

If you are using an expired version of AIS, I would suggest doing another uninstall and clean install of Avast, and this time enter a valid purchased key upon installation.  After updating your definitions and everything is working fine, then do another System Restore.  Let us know if this fixes your problem.

In addition, I might also mention the following:

Users have also reported conflicts with TeaTimer in SB and Avast.  You can disable it or uninstall it per the vendor's instructions to see if this helps your situation.

Ad-aware has also been replaced by MBAM (Malwarebytes' Antimalware) due to better detection rates.  Most of us use it here on the forum for either on-demand or resident protection and it does not conflict with Avast.

Let us know if you have any additional questions and if the above fixes your problem.  Thank you.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
How to disable Spybot-S&D temporarily
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html

Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Zadion

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
I have a full version of AIS (purchased in July of 2010). Why it reverted back to the trial version I do not know.

I don't have the specified computer with me at the moment. I'll attempt to disable Spybot as soon as I can, then post back results.