Author Topic: Sandbox Instructions -- Lack there of and lack of support  (Read 14796 times)

BMoshier

Sandbox Instructions -- Lack there of and lack of support
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
Hello,

First, let me say I want to use the Sandbox feature.  I upgraded from the FREE version so I specifically could use the Sandbox.

After reading the help files and online information from the Avast website, I still couldn't figure out how to use the feature.  I clearly understand what it is suppose to do, but I can't figure out how to start to use it.

I opened a support ticket well over a month ago requesting instructions on how to use the Sandbox feature in the PRO version.  All I got back until today was a copy of the FAQ entry on the sandbox, which is NOT instructions.  On multiple occasions I pointed out the FAQ instruction was not clear instructions on how to use this feature.  It was a sales approach.  An example is how it says to "browse" to the application.  I tried to browse to the application using "My Computer" and by using the Avast User Interface, but neither one provides obvious Sandbox support.

Today, though, I got a link from Support that lead me to list of articles about the Avast! Sandbox.  The first article said this feature does not work.  Ah, is this how Avast supports their paid version??????

So, I'm here asking:

1) HOW DO I USE THIS FEATURE?  I've been programming since 1974, so I'm not inexperienced with computers.  I believe in RTFM, but I need help in finding the FM!

2) Why is support time and time again copying the same FAQ entry?  Is this typical of the Pro / paid level of support by Avast!?

Bert Moshier.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Sandbox Instructions -- Lack there of and lack of support
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
1) HOW DO I USE THIS FEATURE?  I've been programming since 1974, so I'm not inexperienced with computers.  I believe in RTFM, but I need help in finding the FM!

From your file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer), rightclick on the application you want to run - and select "Run in sandbox". That's it.
(OK, in avast! 5.x the option might be called "Run virtualized").

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »
For the manual/help file - If you click the Help Center in the avastUI, open the Real-Time Shields and it is the Process Virtualisation (Sandbox).

See image - Whilst I don't use the AIS version the access to the Help Center is the same.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BMoshier

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »

From your file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer), rightclick on the application you want to run - and select "Run in sandbox". That's it.
(OK, in avast! 5.x the option might be called "Run virtualized").

Thank you for your quick reply.

I tried what you suggest well over a month ago.  I explained this to support multiple times.

When I find via the "My Computer" / file explorer an executable and then do a Right Hand Click  nothing appears on the context menu that says to "Run in sandbox."  I also do not see anything on the menu that has the word "Virtualization," or "Virtualized."  It is what I was trying to say when I said "An example is how it says to "browse" to the application.  I tried to browse to the application using "My Computer" and by using the Avast User Interface, but neither one provides obvious Sandbox support."

Bert.

BMoshier

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
For the manual/help file - If you click the Help Center in the avastUI, open the Real-Time Shields and it is the Process Virtualisation (Sandbox).

See image - Whilst I don't use the AIS version the access to the Help Center is the same.

First let me thank you for your reply and help.

Yes, I read the help file.  At least the help file I have has two sections titled "Sandbox" and "Context Menu."  None of these instructions work on my system, unfortunately.  When I try to browse or use the context menu, the stated entries are not in the menu list.

I've either found a bug that prevents the context menu from appearing, the instructions are not clear enough, or something else is happening.

As I think I said, I did read the help before contacting support or posting here.

As for clicking on the "Real-Time Shields" there is NO "Process Virtualization (Sandbox)" entry.  I verified I'm using the version 5 Pro edition.

Bert Moshier

MAG

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Can you check if you have sandbox installed.

Control panel, add/remove programs, avast, change installed components

See if sandbox is ticked. If not, tick it.

dagrev

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
Mine seems to work fine.  I just Right click on a shortcut or program icon and I have two options
1. Run visualized
2. Always run in sandbox

Possibly you need to reinstall if these items are not showing.  A very slight (sometimes unseen) red border will surround the program you are running visualized.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:08:48 PM by dagrev »

BMoshier

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
Can you check if you have sandbox installed.

Control panel, add/remove programs, avast, change installed components

See if sandbox is ticked. If not, tick it.

I really appreciate your help!!

If I followed your directions correctly: Control Panel -> Add/Remove Program -> Avast Internet Security -> Change -> Next etc.  The list of shields does NOT include anything called Sandbox or Virtualization.  EVERYTHING has a tick beside it in the Shields, Firewall, and Spam.  English is the language.

Bert,

MAG

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
OK I guess the next thing to try is same path then Repair option (though I don't hold out much hope for this - if sandbox isn't there you probably aren't going to be able to repair it)

(I'm afraid I'm working from memory here - I haven't had AIS installed  for a month or so now).

Following that the only other thing I can think of is uninstall/reinstall AIS. You'll find a lot of threads on this forum containing instructions on how to do that (the ones by Tech and safesurf are usually clear and comprehensive).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
@ BMoshier
What is the actual version of avast 5 AIS you are using, the latest version (build) is 5.1.889 and that is the free version build I'm using and the help file normally has the full information for the other products.

Though the help isn't very detailed at all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BMoshier

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
@ BMoshier
What is the actual version of avast 5 AIS you are using, the latest version (build) is 5.1.889 and that is the free version build I'm using and the help file normally has the full information for the other products.

Though the help isn't very detailed at all.

Program:  5.1.889

Update engine:
Current version:  110202-0
Release date:  2/2/2011 03:06:29
Number of definitions:  2,459,231

Last update attempt: 2/2/2011 09:26:25

As for it being the Pro version, I can only say I purchased it and used the license I got with the purchase.

Bert.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »
Well there are two paid options, the avast Pro which is antivirus only (but still has the sandbox feature) and the AIS version which has the pro antivirus version, avast firewall and anti-spam function. Which version you have should be at the top of the avastUI as in my first image.

Though the Process Virtualisation (Sandbox) should be the same in both.

I will have to leave this to someone with personal experience of the version you have as I use the free version.

Nesivos

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »
Using 5.1.889 which has the Sandbox feature.

I haven't read anything here that indicates that a program setup for use in the Sandbox has changed.

When I tested the Sandbox feature in 5.1.xxx I never used IE to run a program sandboxed so I can't talk to that.

What I did was go into the AIS GUI - Real Time Shields - Virtualization and add the program there using the Browse feature. 

I had no problem adding the program and as I recall when a program is run in the Sandbox in AIS a red line shows up on the four outer edges of the monitor surrounding the program indicating that it was running in the Sandbox.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
@BMoshier, unfortunately avast sandbox isn't available for 64-bit WinXP or 32-bit WinXP SP0/SP1 (it's supported from SP2). I found your support ticket and it says your OS is WinXP (but it doesn't say which platform exactly it is). Those old WinXP systems don't have built support for registry monitoring so sandbox can't work there. Please ask for refund, because your OS doesn't support avast sandbox - PC requirements are written on our website: http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab2 (see bottom of page):

supported:

* Windows XP SP2+ 32-bit
    * Windows Server 2003, Vista, 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) only RTM versions are supported (Windows 7 SP1 RC is currently also supported)

not supported:

* Windows 2000
    * Windows XP 64-bit (with any SP installed)
    * Windows Server 2003 64-bit

Nesivos

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
This post may need to be moved.

My big problem with using the Sandbox is that I could never understand what it did.   Let me explain.

When you run Firefox you will also be using other programs like Flash, Java, Silverlight, Firefox extensions and plug-ins.

So when you sandbox Firefox do you also have to sandbox these other programs or do they automatically run sandboxed within Firefox when you sandbox only Firefox?

It seemed to me that when you ran Firefox sandboxed and updated extenstions while Firefox was sandboxed that those updates did not show up in Firefox if you then ran Firefox un-sandboxed.

Also what happens if you download a program in firefox; eg Malwarebytes.   Where does it go?  As I recall I couldn't find that downloaded program later when I looked for it using My Computer and IE.  I normally download programs to my Desktop but as I recall it wasn't there when I close Firefox and looked at my desktop.

Also updates to my profile in Firefox when it was running sandboxed did not appear to be there if I later ran Firefox un-sandboxed.

Way to many unanswered questions regarding all of the above and more.