Author Topic: Freeze up msg. with new program update - "Windows-no disk"  (Read 3260 times)

Baper

Freeze up msg. with new program update - "Windows-no disk"
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »
I'm running Windows XP and was running Avast free v. 5.0.677. As soon as I updated the Avast program to 5.0.864, my computer began to freeze every time I plugged in a USB flash drive or USB external hard drive and tried to use the "safely remove hardware" icon to remove it. The following message would appear on the screen "Windows-no disk. There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\device\harddisk 1\DR1." And the computer would freeze, requiring a hard reset/restart. I googled this message and tried every conceivable fix. Realizing that the only download I had made was the Avast program update, I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled it twice. Both times my computer worked fine until I updated the program and the same problem occurred. I'm now using Avast 5.0.677 with no problems and don't intend to update the program.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:37:22 PM by Baper »

avparn

Re: Freeze up msg. with new program update - "Windows-no disk"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
Hi, see my post today as well as Zephyr89's recently : this upgrade process seems erroneous or uncomplete (it was working fine until this version).

You may want to uninstall completely, then install again by using the latest installer available on Avast's official web site.

Then see if your problem remains and report any result here, please, I'm interested.

juliegnh

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:38:13 AM »
Same thing happened to my Dad's PC a few days ago, after he upgraded the Avast program to 5.1.864.  Thing is, the message comes up after he logs in and can't make it go away.  I believe he also cannot do anything within windows because he can't get rid of the message.....so, I had him boot in safe mode and uninstall Avast.  Rebooted and installed Avast 5.0.677.  What's up with Windows XP Home and Avast Free 5.1.864 ?????? :(

jpiantar

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
I had this exact same issue upon installing the latest version (at that time - about 3 weeks ago).  Has this issue been resolved? 

juliegnh

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:34:55 AM »
There is no mention of this problem being fixed in the latest Version 5.1.889 2011-01-13.  I have left my Dad's XP machine at 5.067 for now and will wait for at least 2 releases after that(so 1 more) before I consider updating his again.  I would prefer he just stop using that machine all together as it is on it's last leg anyway! ;D

Version 5.1.864

2010-12-31

boot-time scanner now available even in 64-bit Windows
    big improvements in the Behavior Shield
    improvements in the antirootkit engine
    improvements in the cleaning module
    stability/performance improvements in the Web Shield
    CommunityIQ improvements
    added support for sound packs
    minor improvements in the user interface
    minor fixes in the firewall

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:04:04 AM »
Well the latest version is 5.1.889 which resolved some of the problems in 5.1.864.

This assumes your Dad is using the free version of avast.
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.1.889 [http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.x, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

If you are waiting for two releases then you are waiting on avast 6.0 which is in beta testing right now as version 5.1.889 is the last program update in avast 5.1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security