Author Topic: Win 7 advanced settings and Avast 6  (Read 9662 times)

smilin Jack

Re: Win 7 advanced settings and Avast 6
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »
For now, I think I'll download the updates directly from here
http://www.avast.com/download-update
and wait and see if a solution pops up with out having to add a third party app.

I've been using Avast on my other computers for a number of years with excellent results.

Jack

smilin Jack

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
Updating Avast made the situation worse.
Neither Firefox, IE 9, Money 2000 nor Windows Updates would connect immediately afterwards.
After a lot of changes were tried in configuring rule sets in the Windows firewall ( advanced settings ) .....I eventually uninstalled Avast and replaced it with MSE.
All apps now have access according to the firewall rule sets now.

What I did notice was that if the advanced settings were set to default, Avast had no negative impact and there were no restrictions to accessing the Internet.

If someone has experienced this and found a fix, please post the fix, I'm still open to using Avast in the future.

ady4um

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:33 PM »
( @smilin Jack, I was just about to post the following when I saw your latest post; my apologies if it is not relevant anymore.)

I haven't seen anyone with Vista or Seven with "real" problems when allowing Avast in the Windows Firewall. Of course, this doesn't mean that they are not out there :).

Is there any actual indication / log / pop up / something that shows you that the problem is in the Windows Firewall? Couldn't the problem be somewhere else (Avast settings included)?

Sorry to ask but, AFTER installing Avast, configured the "no proxy" setting and configured the Firewall, have you rebooted?

Offline Corsair

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:28 AM »
Sorry I can't be any practical help as I don't use the win7 firewall, it isn't very user friendly is rules based (and you have to create the rules) and you have to enable outbound protection (I don't know if that is what happens with the Win 7 firewall with advanced settings on).

You might want to give the Windows Firewall Control a try, it is an add-on that makes the windows firewall a little more user friendly.

- Vista & Windows 7 Firewall Control, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html and this, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html.

There is also another program called Windows Firewall Control from a different company you may wish to look at (I haven't tired either ...this is just from Google and CNet):

Windows Firewall Control: http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
avast! Free Antivirus
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804) - CPU: i5-4670K - RAM: 16GB - HDD: 250GB SSD - Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD

smilin Jack

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
( @smilin Jack, I was just about to post the following when I saw your latest post; my apologies if it is not relevant anymore.)

I haven't seen anyone with Vista or Seven with "real" problems when allowing Avast in the Windows Firewall. Of course, this doesn't mean that they are not out there :).

Is there any actual indication / log / pop up / something that shows you that the problem is in the Windows Firewall? Couldn't the problem be somewhere else (Avast settings included)?

Sorry to ask but, AFTER installing Avast, configured the "no proxy" setting and configured the Firewall, have you rebooted?

I haven't seen anyone with Vista or Seven with "real" problems when allowing Avast in the Windows Firewall.
I haven't either, but few users seem to configure the Advanced Settings to control outbound connections.
Avast would update with the default firewall settings.

Is there any actual indication / log / pop up / something that shows you that the problem is in the Windows Firewall?
No warnings, even turned off UAC just to make sure it wasn't the issue.

Couldn't the problem be somewhere else (Avast settings included)?
Anything is possible at this time ;D

Yes.

Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Jack

smilin Jack

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »

There is also another program called Windows Firewall Control from a different company you may wish to look at (I haven't tired either ...this is just from Google and CNet):

Windows Firewall Control: http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

Thanks, but.....
I'd rather avoid a third party solution at this time .....unless the source well known to me.

Jack

ady4um

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
Is there any actual indication / log / pop up / something that shows you that the problem is in the Windows Firewall?
What about Event Viewer? I'm just trying to think about some piece of actual data that could point you to find which setting needs to be adjusted, or how to actually allow the firewall in the correct manner.

smilin Jack

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 03:53:49 AM »
What about Event Viewer? I'm just trying to think about some piece of actual data that could point you to find which setting needs to be adjusted, or how to actually allow the firewall in the correct manner.

Good idea, but.....
when I checked the time period of my last attempts with Avast I saw nothing in the Event Viewer of a problem.

ady4um

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
@smilin Jack,

"Something" is not right here. Even in Advanced Mode, Windows Firewall should let you know when it blocks some specific process from connecting (there is even a specific checkbox option to disable the "asking" function of Win FW).

If you set Avast updates to "manual", and wait, say, 13 hours to a manual update, then you could open Windows Task Manager and actually see "avast.setup" when you manually update (using Avast tray icon).

Opening Windows Firewall simultaneously too, should give you the opportunity to revise whether it is blocking something, or the problem is actually something else.

With no real data, there is no way to confirm that Windows Firewall is blocking Avast. IMHO, comparing the "normal mode" of Win FW with the advance mode is not enough. Some additional option or security check "must" be available "somewhere".

Even specialized (firewall) tools can usually work together with Avast, so Windows FW should work too.

Have you tried any of the add-ons controls of Windows Firewall? There are several available.

I know it is a new system, but anyway, have you tried (re)building a "new" network connection setting in Windows?