Author Topic: Win 7 advanced settings and Avast 6  (Read 9663 times)

smilin Jack

Win 7 advanced settings and Avast 6
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »
I'm setting up a new computer.
Win 7 Home premium and using the Win 7 firewall with advanced settings.
All apps that I wanted to grant access to the Internet were configured and connected properly with the exception of Avast 6.
Avast complains it can't connect to update servers.
How do I configure my firewall rules to allow Avast?
 I've granted access to all .exe in the Avast program folder and I'm stumped about what to try next.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Win 7 advanced settings and Avast 6
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »

Set avast! to: Direct Connection (No Proxy)
Solved..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

smilin Jack

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »

Set avast! to: Direct Connection (No Proxy)
Solved..??

I set to Direct Connection but Avast still won't connect to the update server.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »
Which avast..?
Which version..?
Other security related software..?
AV installed before..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

smilin Jack

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »
Which avast..?
Which version..?
Other security related software..?
AV installed before..?

Avast 6 Free
MBAM
SAS
Javacool Spyware Blaster
It's a brand new computer that I'm just now setting up and the only AV ever installed has been Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »
Ensure that your outbound firewall settings allows avast.setup internet connections, that is what does the avast updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smilin Jack

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
Ensure that your outbound firewall settings allows avast.setup internet connections, that is what does the avast updates.

I can not find any exe or file named 'Avast.setup" in my Avast program folder or on my C ( OS ) partition that I can point to in the firewall rules.

Would it be a good idea to download Avast again....and reinstall?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »
Open windows firewall from control panel and in the top left there is allow a program or feature though the windows firewall, click there and you will get a popup which will allow you to add avast to the firewall.
See picture

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »

I can not find any exe or file named 'Avast.setup" in my Avast program folder or on my C ( OS ) partition that I can point to in the firewall rules.

Would it be a good idea to download Avast again....and reinstall?

1. The first problem that you will come up against as this isn't a permanent file, it is created at the time of the update. If I remember correctly it is created from the C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\setup.ovr file, so when created it would be in that folder as C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\avast.setup.

I don't use the windows firewall:
So I don't know if you can use the instructions given by craigb above to manually create an entry for C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\avast.setup as the program added in his image isn't for avast.setup but AvastSvc.exe and that doesn't handle the updates.

You could try launching a manual update and quickly try using the Browse... button (in the above image) to the location I gave for the avast.setup file (before it is removed).

2. No point in downloading again as this condition wouldn't change.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smilin Jack

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 02:52:27 PM »
Open windows firewall from control panel and in the top left there is allow a program or feature though the windows firewall, click there and you will get a popup which will allow you to add avast to the firewall.
See picture

Edit:
Correction.....I haven't seen that method and will give it a try.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:54:06 PM by smilin Jack »

smilin Jack

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
See picture

I set it as suggested, but Avast still won't connect to the update server.

smilin Jack

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »

You could try launching a manual update and quickly try using the Browse... button (in the above image) to the location I gave for the avast.setup file (before it is removed).

2. No point in downloading again as this condition wouldn't change.

Didn't work
But thanks anyway :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I think the path that is put in there automatically is the ui exe after examining it further and the only other one's that can be added are in the screen shot which i dont think are going to help either

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
Sorry I can't be any practical help as I don't use the win7 firewall, it isn't very user friendly is rules based (and you have to create the rules) and you have to enable outbound protection (I don't know if that is what happens with the Win 7 firewall with advanced settings on).

You might want to give the Windows Firewall Control a try, it is an add-on that makes the windows firewall a little more user friendly.

- Vista & Windows 7 Firewall Control, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html and this, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »
If your going to use the windows firewall it maybe easyer to get the windows 7 firewall control which is a small addon which makes it slightly easyer to setup rules for the windows firewall

Didn't see your post David, sorry. :P
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:42:36 PM by craigb »