Author Topic: Avast Free + free firewall or Avast internet security - which is best?  (Read 9320 times)

Offline bstock

Hi,

At the moment I am still running Avast Internet security in trial mode with superantispyware pro and free antimalware but am intrigued by the number of forum members who appear to be running Avast Free anti Virus plus a free firewall.

Not wishing to waste money I would like to know what forum members recommend as being the best combination so I can decide at the end of my trial period whether to subscribe or go with the free av version.

Looking forward to some interesting posts... - thanks
Acer Aspire 5742Z / Pentium P6100 2GHz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HDD / Windows 7 Home Premium / Avast!Internet Security 7.0.1456 / SUPER AntiSpyware Professional / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free /Firefox 14.0.1/ IE9 / Mozilla Thunderbird 14.1 / TrueCrypt

spg SCOTT

Re: Avast Free + free firewall or Avast internet security - which is best?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
I think it is a matter of personal preference. Some are more comfortable with letting a suite type program look after things, whereas others are complete control freaks :P (me included) and use different programs for different things...for example, this machine has only avast! Free and Winpatrol on it.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »
It's purely personal choice, some people like the simplicity of an all in one suite while other's like to layer there security, you might have been using a firewall for years and dont want to part with it so you would only get the free version of avast, like i already said it's all personal choice.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
I think it is a matter of personal preference. Some are more comfortable with letting a suite type program look after things, whereas others are complete control freaks :P (me included) and use different programs for different things...for example, this machine has only avast! Free and Winpatrol on it.
WinPatrol is a good addition for avast! Internet Security:
WinPatrol Free vs PLUS
http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

g0dsends

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
avast pro with comodo firewall and malware bytes and it works great :P

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Comodo firewall is not necessary with Malwarebytes and avast! Internet Security.

Offline bstock

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
Thanks for all your posts, food for thought.

From what's been written am I right in assuming that there is basically no difference in the level of protection with say my setup as is and mysetup with (Avast free+a good free firewall) instead of AIS

Comodo firewall is not necessary with Malwarebytes and avast! Internet Security.
Yeah YoKenny that puzzled me especially having read in several posts of the need to uninstall comodo when having difficulies with AIS.
Acer Aspire 5742Z / Pentium P6100 2GHz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HDD / Windows 7 Home Premium / Avast!Internet Security 7.0.1456 / SUPER AntiSpyware Professional / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free /Firefox 14.0.1/ IE9 / Mozilla Thunderbird 14.1 / TrueCrypt

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
The only difference i think would be that you would lose the antispam by going to the free version and the full sandbox, will only be a partial auto sandbox in the free 6 version when released.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
You would also lose the safezone in avast 6.0 as that isn't in the free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bstock

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
Thanks for all your comments, think I will give Avast!Free + Comodo firewall a try.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
Thanks for all your comments, think I will give Avast!Free + Comodo firewall a try.
That's a step in the wrong direction as avast! V6 is due out real soon now.
Read what DavidR says:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71306.msg596380#msg596380

Offline bstock

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
That's a step in the wrong direction as avast! V6 is due out real soon now.
Read what DavidR says:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=71306.msg596380#msg596380

Thanks but you have just referenced back to this topic, did you mean to do that? If you meant to do, all DavidR seems to say is the lack of a safe zone in the forthcoming free version 6. Is that such a big thing?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
When you add this to the other things that you would also be missing, yes it could.

The safe zone is ideal for things like on-line banking as you are effectively working in an isolated desktop where you are immune to keyloggers, etc. So any other such sensitive browsing, etc. would benefit from being run from the safe zone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
Avast +  a hardware firewall is the best combination.

Offline bstock

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »
When you add this to the other things that you would also be missing, yes it could.

The safe zone is ideal for things like on-line banking as you are effectively working in an isolated desktop where you are immune to keyloggers, etc. So any other such sensitive browsing, etc. would benefit from being run from the safe zone.
Now that does sound attractive.
When is version 6 due?