Author Topic: Do exceptions save to a file in Windows?  (Read 7607 times)

auckland micro

Do exceptions save to a file in Windows?
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
Hi

We have a few instances of Avast free edition that are unmanaged from a server, just the host machines, i am trying to roll out a program (BGINFO) but Avast continuously blocks the exe for it...

does anyone know if when you add an exception to Avast, does it save to a file (ini,txt,dll etc) that i can then copy to other machines via GPO without the need to go to each and add the exception to 50+ 'machines?

we are mostly running avast 4.8 on a XP systems.

thanks

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Do exceptions save to a file in Windows?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:57:57 AM »
First, if you have a Windows Server this is most likely a business environment, in which case use of the Free edition is prohibited. You should be using Avast NetClient in conjunction with the Avast Distributed Network Manager where you can administer all the installations from a single console.

Contact your local Avast Reseller to obtain the proper licenses for your environment.

For Avast Free you will need to make the exception on each computer.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

jbogut

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
Ok - beyond the discipline, sheesh - users need the answer. I have a full corporate edition and have had to type in the same exceptions one at a time for each of my 5 policies....is there a file somewhere that can be seen and/or imported into a policy?

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
FileSystemShield.ini snippet:

Code: [Select]
[FileSystem]
ScanExceptions=<RW>?:\PageFile.sys;<RW>*\System.da?;<RW>*\User.da?;<RW>*.fon;<RW>*.txt;<RW>*.log;<RW>*.ini;<RW>*\Bootstat.dat;<W>*\firefox\profiles\*sessionstore*.js

(The above comes from v6; no idea about 4.8, will not touch.)  :P

jbogut

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »
Interesting.....any idea where this file is? Only on the clients? Where on the server, I searched and it doesn't come up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
The FileSystemShield.ini file is only on avast6 and is a file on the user system.

The only real suggestion is check if there are any other .ini files on the server side, but I rather doubt that may be the case on a server version of avast.

Now I don't use the server version or the ADNM (Avast Distributed Network Management), but that is meant to be able to manage our clients, so I don't know if there would be something on there about exceptions or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jbogut

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 05:33:29 PM »
thanks....we are using ADNM and that is only at 4.8 so i need ot know if this list exists in that version somewhere....anyone? Is there anyone from Avast on these boards?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
You might get a better response in the Business Forum:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=33.0
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »
I'm aware that the ADNM only supports (recognises) avast 4.8, there is another product in development and must be near release that will support/recognise the later avast user/client applications.

I would suggest that you visit the avast! 4 server or the avast! Distributed Network Manager and new avast! Business Protection forums as you are more likely to get more people (who might know) viewing it and keep abreast of developments.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
I believe I already told you where the exceptions are stored... so no, there's no text file there.
I wouldn't really expect this fact to change by asking again...

Btw, the engine is not really optimized for huge exclusion lists... so if you really have a lot of exclusions, first it might slow down the file operations a bit, and second I would expect there's a limit on the total size of the exclusion masks - and when crossed, the exclusions will stop to be obeyed, or even saved.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:01:18 PM by igor »

jbogut

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »
I don't know who you are and I truly hope you don't work for Avast as I am a paying client - I am sure many others here are as well - and will not accept that attitude. Reporting to Avast in case you are an employee.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:21 PM »
My attitude?
I told you where the data are stored, i.e. I answered your question. When I asked about what you're trying to achieve, because I was trying to help and thought the problem might get solved otherwise, you got furious. That's it, report whatever you wish. [OK, I already got your report, thanks.]

Also, I'm just telling you that you might experience other problems if your exclusion list is too big - should I keep this information for myself?
Sorry, I understand you'd like to export/import the exclusions and don't like that it's not possible, but that's how it is.

jbogut

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
Ok - so you do actually work for Avast.....hmmmmmmmm.....we have ot rethink this commitment...please do not reply

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
Ok - so you do actually work for Avast.....hmmmmmmmm.....we have ot rethink this commitment...please do not reply

I'm not an employee, but you are a jack-ass.

Sorry, but that had to be said, and since employees don't say that to customers, I stepped in.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

jbogut

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 02:33:54 PM »
Listen, I don't care what any of you think.....please just stop harassing me.