Author Topic: Random Trojans and Malware?  (Read 7234 times)

EmptyPockets

Random Trojans and Malware?
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I recently got a virus from attempting to download a game save file from a questionable website, although I am relatively sure that I got rid of it, and now I am getting occasional Malware or Trojan pop-ups from Avast! at random saying that it has blocked a Malware or Trojan. Sometimes my computer will drastically slow down and I will have to do a scan and get rid of a Malware or Trojan, and I can't figure out where I am getting them! I have only gone to very secure and high-trafficked websites since my battle with the virus, but I'm wondering if perhaps there is still some sort of remnant from the virus that has left my computer open to attack... can anyone help or think of something I could do to check for something like this?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Random Trojans and Malware?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »
Try this

TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1  http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
Always update the program so you have latest database before you scan
Click the remove selected button to quarantine any infections found

If anything is found, please post/attach the scan log here

EmptyPockets

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
So I am currently running the Malwarebytes scan and it's not done yet, but so far it says I have 13 infected files, and I'm not quite sure how to post the scan log, so I figured I'd just ask in advance so I could do it right when the scan finishes.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:06:57 PM »
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:23:19 AM »
as essexboy say you can just copy and paste, but if it is to big then you attach

lower left corner > aditional options > attach > MBAM scan log

EmptyPockets

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:05:09 AM »
Alright, here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5786

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

2/17/2011 3:58:45 PM
mbam-log-2011-02-17 (15-58-45).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 357929
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 12 minute(s), 57 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 15
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 5
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{147A976F-EEE1-4377-8EA7-4716E4CDD239} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{D518921A-4A03-425E-9873-B9A71756821E} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{CF54BE1C-9359-4395-8533-1657CF209CFE} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256A51-B582-467e-B8D4-7786EDA79AE0} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256A51-B582-467e-B8D4-7786EDA79AE0} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{00A6FAF1-072E-44CF-8957-5838F569A31D} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07B18EAB-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{25560540-9571-4D7B-9389-0F166788785A} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3DC201FB-E9C9-499C-A11F-23C360D7C3F8} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9FF05104-B030-46FC-94B8-81276E4E27DF} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\RunDll32Policy\f3ScrCtr.dll (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
c:\program files\funwebproducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\Cache (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\setups (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{22116563-108c-42c0-a7ce-60161b75e508}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{62c40aa6-4406-467a-a5a5-dfdf1b559b7a}.job (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{bbaeaeaf-1275-40e2-bd6c-bc8f88bd114a}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\Cache\files.ini (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:12:50 AM »
Did you also clean your temp files ?

Is your problem now solved?

EmptyPockets

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:02:11 AM »
I did clean my temp files and ran the scan and deleted all the pesky malware, and I believe the problem is solved (Knock on wood) but if it starts happening again for no apparent reason then I'll say so.

EmptyPockets

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 12:09:41 AM »
Hmm... My computer seems to be running up to speed and everything, but Avast! keeps notifying me every now and then that it has blocked a Malicious object. The reason I'm mentioning this is because it will say this when I'm on a perfectly harmless site, or even when I am just on my desktop with nothing running at all, and it is making me very nervous that these supposedly malicious objects are just appearing out of nowhere, is there any way I can test to see if there is some sort of trace or something on my computer that allows these malicious files to try and enter when that shouldn't even be possible?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
Follow this guide from our expert malware remover Essexboy
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
(post the logs here in this topic and not in the guide)

To avoid using multiple post with copy and paste you have to attach the log`s
Lower left corner: Additional Options > Attach ( OTL.Txt. / Extras.Txt )

Essexboy will be notified when you have posted the log`s
He is usually in here at 8:00pm - 11:59pm UK time   http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:25:39 AM by Pondus »

EmptyPockets

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:47:34 AM »
Alright, well I went through a whole gauntlet to fix it (Did a system restore, then ran a Malwarebytes scan, then did a Temp file cleanup, then did another scan and temp file cleanup for good measure) and I hope it's gone, I can't figure out how to attach the log with the "additional options" because I can't find where the logs are kept, so if you'd like I can just copy and paste it onto here

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
So if you saved OTL to your dektop and run it form there then the logs will also be there, and you just browse to that location....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:08:56 AM by Pondus »

EmptyPockets

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
Alright, so I ran the OTL scans you asked for and I really hope you guys can help me with this, I'm getting sick of these stupid malwares that won't go away and are slowing down my computer, and thanks for the help you've given so far.

And if it helps at all, when I check on my task manager under "Processes", there's a process called "svchost.exe" that occasionaly flares up and pretty much runs my computer to a standstill so that I have to close everything and wait for it to speed up again, and even when it isn't "acting up" it still takes on average over 120,000 kilobytes, which I assume is bad. (At the moment I'm playing a game called "Minecraft" and scvhost.exe is using approximately 660,000 kilobytes...

Here's the "OTL" and "Extras" logs:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:37:19 PM by EmptyPockets »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:21:10 PM »
Nothing is showing on that scan - however, the svchost level is a bit high

Lets run a check for weird drivers

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal.  It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you.  Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

EmptyPockets

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »
Hey, alright so that combofix thing said it found a rootkit, hopefully it fixed it, and thanks for all the help you guys are giving.