Author Topic: [Solved] Threat detected, can't apply action.  (Read 5556 times)

BlueberrySolitude

[Solved] Threat detected, can't apply action.
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »
I am running Avast 5.1.889 (Free version) on a Windows XP machine.  A recent scan found 6 "infected" files of high severity.  All of the files have "Process 1556 [aawservice.exe], memory block" in the name.  The status of each shows "Threat: " and then the names of several trojans.  The problem is that even though I can select an action from the dropdown box, the apply button never activates and I thus cannot deal with these threats.

My thought is that Avast just picked up on something in the detection files for Ad-Aware and that those aren't really malware.

Is this the case, or is something else going on?

Any help greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:52:10 PM by BlueberrySolitude »

IWRConsultancy

Re: Threat detected, can't apply action.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/aawservice/214115/

This is from Lavasoft Ad-Aware, IF you have it installed. Though, it could equally be a rogue pretending to be Ad-Aware. Check the file's size and properties, esp. version and author, to see if they make sense or not.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
I am running Avast 5.1.889 (Free version) on a Windows XP machine.  A recent scan found 6 "infected" files of high severity.  All of the files have "Process 1556 [aawservice.exe], memory block" in the name.  The status of each shows "Threat: " and then the names of several trojans.  The problem is that even though I can select an action from the dropdown box, the apply button never activates and I thus cannot deal with these threats.

My thought is that Avast just picked up on something in the detection files for Ad-Aware and that those aren't really malware.

Is this the case, or is something else going on?

Any help greatly appreciated.

It seems that AA loads its signatures unencrypted into memory.
Therefore this shouldn't be a problem.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
- Detections in Memory
- My guess is that you are doing a Custom scan in which you have elected to scan Memory and that all these detections are in memory. Since they aren't physical files they can't be moved to the chest, deleted, etc. so there is no action that can be taken, hence the Apply button being greyed out.

The detections in memory are frequently other security applications loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory, adaware in this case. Having set off a scan of memory by an antivirus application looking for virus signatures, don't be too surprised if it finds some in memory.

Personally I wouldn't give adaware hard disk space there are better applications, but if you do a memory scan you may well find the same.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 03:11:36 PM »
Personally I wouldn't give adaware hard disk space there are better applications, but if you do a memory scan you may well find the same.
Ad-Aware is useless nowadays.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is much better.

IWRConsultancy

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is much better.

I agree, we tend to use MBAM for fake-AV removal and the like. Ad-Aware was a good product in its heyday, but that is long past.

BlueberrySolitude

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  Yes, I had Ad-Aware installed, and I did do a custom scan.  I also appreciate the recommendation of Malwarebytes.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: [Solved] Threat detected, can't apply action.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »
You're welcome..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0