Author Topic: [Avast 6] How to disable installation of the new features?  (Read 5734 times)

ixjhveayinrz

[Avast 6] How to disable installation of the new features?
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
So, how do I disable the installation of the autosandbox, the safezone (which includes a full chrome installation), and site blocking?

I only need the filesystem shield - and ondemand scanner. Everything else is just occupying space on my harddrive (a very small SSD, so space IS precious) and cluttering up my services + system drivers.

Edit:
In fact, can I ask the avast developers to give an option in the installer to allow the user to install the absolute bare minimum the user wishes - no duplicate files and backups, etc. This will save around 200MB of harddrive space compared to the current minimum installation.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:17:55 PM by ixjhveayinrz »

Silk0

Re: [Avast 6] How to disable installation of the new features?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
When you open the installer, pick the Personalized/Custom Installation and choose what do you want.

Note: I suppose that you can choose if you want to install SafeZone or not. Don't know since i don't use AIS.

If you already have AIS installed on your computer: go to Control Panel > Programs > double tap on avast! and pick change.
Untick what you don't want and follow the instructions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:21:50 PM by Silk0 »

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »
When you open the installer, pick the Personalized/Custom Installation and choose what do you want.

PS: I suppose that you can choose if you want to install SafeZone or not. Don't know since i don't use AIS.

Of course I tried that - but there is no option to disable the installation of the new features...

And the way the custom installation works is that it installs everything ANYWAY but simply disables the items afterwards.

Silk0

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
I edited my 1st post.

BTW, I don't know why the Custom Installation exists if installs everything like you said.
It should install only the components you want, don't you think? ::)

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
It should install only the components you want, don't you think? ::)

Yes, that would be the expected behavior. But they probably do it this way so that the user can modify the installation through "Add and Remove Programs" without having to have access to the installer.

Hence I would like to ask for a proper custom installation possibility.

unreladark

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
Anyway to install silently Avast 6 Free with sandbox disabled by default? Thank you!  Avast 6 is wooohhh!

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:50:43 AM »
Does anyone maybe know a workaround? E.g. by deleting specific files from the avast folder?

I guess it would be possible to investigate using Process Monitor to see which files are accessed by Avast from bootup of the computer and general use - and then delete those that are not necessary. And then using Group Policy Editor disable creation of those files during Avast update.

Offline ky331

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
I would strongly advise against "deleting specific files from the avast folder".

first, assuming you have avast's "strong protection" enabled, it may not let you.

second, IF you can so, and avast later on looks for and needs those files, it may result in avast crashing your system... and worst case scenario ---- if this happens during boot-up ---- your system may fail to boot.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

ixjhveayinrz

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
Could we maybe get a comment from a developer so that we know this issue is acknowledged?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
So, how do I disable the installation of the autosandbox, the safezone (which includes a full chrome installation), and site blocking?

Autosandbox and site blocking are fully integrated into the program, there are no separate modules for them (and if they were, they would have a few KB) - so no, it's not possible.
As for the SafeZone... that could be separated, in my opinion - but I don't know if there are any technical reasons for the current state.

In fact, can I ask the avast developers to give an option in the installer to allow the user to install the absolute bare minimum the user wishes - no duplicate files and backups, etc. This will save around 200MB of harddrive space compared to the current minimum installation.

By far the biggest part of the installation are the virus definitions and the setup packages - neither of which can be removed, because it would stop working. So I am sorry, but the "bare minimum" is basically what is inside the installation folder right now - a few hundreds of kilobytes more or less for some small features really don't matter.