Author Topic: Weird problems after upgrading to avast Internet Security  (Read 4525 times)

riobio

Weird problems after upgrading to avast Internet Security
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
I upgraded to avast!Internet Security 25 Feb.  The Webrep section says there is no installed browser; I've been running IE8 since it came out.  I called the iYogi number for help; can't understand them because of heavy accent (operator and then supervisor if you can believe them), and they want control of computer to assess the problem--just too uncomfortable for that.  I see the Webrep thing is being worked on, but I'd just like to uninstall, get a refund, and go back to avast!AV free as before (the ad didn't say that V6.0 was still in beta).  Yesterday, for the first time ever, I had a blue screen stop error--event log said it was a Windows 5.2 system error ID 1003 "krnl_crash" with no user action required and no MS Knowledge Base articles to deal with it; it recovered rapidly, but just too freaky for me.
What is the best way to uninstall Internet Security?  I realize this is an amateur question, but I'm just not technically adept enough to wade through more articles and then do it wrong...leaving remnants all over so that the free version install won't work properly.
I'd greatly appreciate assistance.  Thank you.
(HP Pavilion dv6135 notebook, XP Pro, V5.2.2600 SP3, IE8.0.6001.18702/ also have SAS Lifetime full, MBAM Pro, and Webroot Spyware)

sded

Re: Weird problems after upgrading to avast Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
You can uninstall Avast! using the Avast! 6 uninstaller at http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe .  Do it from safe mode to be sure there is no other interference.  Avast 6.1000 is a release and is not in beta.  What free version of avast! were you using previously and how did you uninstall it?  If you just used add/remove programs, then running the uninstaller and then trying again to reinstall 6 may solve the problem

riobio

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »
It was the latest and updated every 6 hours--6.0 as I remember seeing.  I did not uninstall the free version I had; I just went to interface icon and told it to install the license file as directed from the Online Store receipt (Digital River).  All that is listed now in Add/Remove is the avast!Internet Security.

I'm quite willing to uninstall the current and try reinstalling, but where would I access the download for the Internet Security since all I received when I upgraded was a link to a license file?

sded

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »
Since you already have the license file, you should be able to download the AIS trial version at http://www.avast.com/internet-security and just insert the license file when asked.  Normally when upgrading from Free to AIS, removal of Free first is recommended.

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
Would suggest doing a fresh install indeed.

1/ Uninstall current version normally via control panel.
2/ Download the uninstaller (http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe)
3/ Run the uninstaller in Safe Mode
4/ Reboot and install AIS 6.0 from scratch (http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe)

riobio

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
Would suggest doing a fresh install indeed.

1/ Uninstall current version normally via control panel.
2/ Download the uninstaller (http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe)
3/ Run the uninstaller in Safe Mode
4/ Reboot and install AIS 6.0 from scratch (http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe)

Ok, I'll do this; let me be sure--can I manually enter the urls you've given me or will I have to come back to this support forum and click on the link?
I apologize for being so inept; thank you for assistance.

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
Well clicking sounds easier but it does not matter what you choose  :)

riobio

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
Well clicking sounds easier but it does not matter what you choose  :)
Now that was interesting.  I saved the links to the desktop, uninstalled from control panel, ran uninstaller in safe mode, then ran AIS.  However, when I went to insert the license file, it had changed into an unrecognizable form; I inserted it anyway and it worked.  Guess what?  AIS still says I do NOT have Internet Explorer installed (it says I have no browser installed), but I now see the green bars add-on below the menu and the green bars icon is showing on a google search.
Will the fixes to WebRep be automatically downloaded in updates?
Thanks again.

sded

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »
Webrep has a long way to go, so there will indeed be updates that occur automatically as it evolves.  Haven't heard your problem before, but sounds like a conflict the Webrep people should be looking at.  Could you perhaps change the title of your thread to include the word "WebRep" so they will be sure to see it?

doktornotor

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:20:25 PM »
AIS still says I do NOT have Internet Explorer installed (it says I have no browser installed), but I now see the green bars add-on below the menu and the green bars icon is showing on a google search.
Will the fixes to WebRep be automatically downloaded in updates?

It will be eventually fixed. If you have the functionality in your browser then it is not really important what the GUI says about installed or not installed browsers (cosmetic issue).

riobio

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
oops..one more question.  Should the Windows firewall be disabled?  Does it interfere with the AIS firewall?

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 11:28:16 PM »
oops..one more question.  Should the Windows firewall be disabled?  Does it interfere with the AIS firewall?

Official answer has been it does NOT interfere. I would disable it anyway as managing two firewalls at the same time is just pointless overhead plus I do not really see what kind of functionality does it add to the AIS one.