Author Topic: Avast 6 problem with HTMLKit web editor  (Read 2551 times)

Offline davews

Avast 6 problem with HTMLKit web editor
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:34:02 PM »
I use HTMLKit (www.htmlkit.com) as my website editor. Since I upgraded to Avast 6 I find I have a problem. When working on pages including Javascript I get an access violation error from HTMLKit when I try previewing with its built-in IE based previewer:
"Access violation at address 00412AFO in module 'HTMLKit.exe'. Read of address 0000125D"

I just posted this to the HTML support newsgroup:

"I have just started getting this error here, having had no problems for
several years. HTMLKit 292, Windows XP SP3, oodles of ram. The problem
with any html file containing javascript (as most of my pages do) and
when I click on the preview pane HTMLKit crashes immediately with the
above error. Remove the javascript section and it previews fine.

I can preview with no problems with either my default browser Opera or
IE, it is just the preview pane where this happens.

The problem seems to have started after I updated my AVast AV last week
to the new v6. I tried turning off the AVast file scanner but it made no
difference."

This seems to indicate it is a problem with the script shield. It is disabled, and I have not installed WebRep since neither of these work with my default Opera. But reading a recent post about Outlook Express problems it would seem that script shield is still partially running even when disabled.

I don't expect anybody here will be able to sort my problem (unless anybody else uses HTMLKit) but it may be related to other issues people have.

Offline davews

Re: Avast 6 problem with HTMLKit web editor
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
As expected, no replies to this one (nor any reply on the HTMLKit forums...).

Following the advice in the thread about problems with Outlook Express with Avast 6 I have just uninstalled the Script Shield from Control Panels (select the change option). I find my problems with HTMLKit are now cured, no crashing and working normally. So it does appear that the Script Shield has various problems with programs which interface to IE and simply disabling the shield is not sufficient. Since I don't browse with IE (I use Opera) the Script Shield is no use to me at the moment anyway.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
I couldn't check anything out as I no longer use HTMLKit (its been many years) and that is probably the same for most other forum members and that was more likely why no response to your first post.

That and you appear to have found a workaround in disabling the script shield, not ideal (but necessary in your case to run htmlkit). Thought the script shield doesn't support Opera for browsing, as you noticed it isn't just scripts on the internet that it monitors.

I don't know how frequently you use htmlkit, perhaps just pausing the script shield before you start using htmlkit would be another workaround, leaving the remainder of its protection available when not using htmlkit.

I use firefox as my primary browser (currently not a supported browser, but in the future) and don't use htmlkit, but the script shield is still recording scan activity in the shield's UI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davews

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
As I said, pausing Script Shield in the interface does not solve the problem, you have to actually uninstall it. I use HTMLKit frequently so I do need it working. Since I browse with Opera, and it is unlikely that Script Shield will ever support that, I am quite happy to have it off my system. But it does seem that AVast has problems with the shield.