Author Topic: Problems Updating Definitions.  (Read 2313 times)

ShaneARay

Problems Updating Definitions.
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »
AIS has been working fine the last couple of days.  For the last few hours, however, it doesn't want to update.

I had a message that my defs were out of date (so, obviously the auto-update had failed), and when I tried to do a manual update the process refused to complete.  On, I think, the 3rd or fourth attempt it "looked" like it completed, but the program is giving me different indications in different parts of the UI.

The screenshot shows what I mean.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problems Updating Definitions.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:33:17 AM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

ShaneARay

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
Thanks, Tech.

Before you replied, I tried to repair the installation with no effect.

The uninstall/reinstall seems to have cured it, however. 

We'll wait and see how the program acts over the next few days.  Unfortunately, AIS has proved to be less stable then I normally find acceptable in a program (especially security related).  But, I'm willing to wait a few weeks to see how it goes.

Thanks for the assist! :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Before going through the extreme of an uninstall/install, try a simple reboot next time (if it happens).  If that fails, then try the repair.  Some times there is a glitch in the system and it fixes itself on the next update as well, but a reboot usually does the trick.  ;)

ShaneARay

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
Before going through the extreme of an uninstall/install, try a simple reboot next time (if it happens).  If that fails, then try the repair.  Some times there is a glitch in the system and it fixes itself on the next update as well, but a reboot usually does the trick.  ;)

Always the first thing I try...an old habit from the early days of Windows that I'll never lose ;)