Author Topic: How to allow PUP (Potentially unwanted programs) in Avast Free?  (Read 10440 times)

Graig

Avast is detecting a program that is says is PUP but I want to allow it to run, not move it to the chest. How can I do this? Thanks, Graig

Dch48

Re: How to allow PUP (Potentially unwanted programs) in Avast Free?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:02:33 PM »
Go into the settings for the file system shield and then to actions. Click on the PUP tab and change the first action from  Move to chest to Ask. Then you will be able to do whatever you want with anything that gets detected as a PUP.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
You can also make an exclusion into File Shield for this particular file.
By the way, which is it?
The best things in life are free.

Graig

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:36:44 AM »
The file in question is C:\HP\Bin\EndProcess.exe It is on my wife's computer and has to do with HP Udate I believe.

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 12:59:52 AM »
That file has also been detected by Avira as a PUP but was confirmed to be a false positive. Nobody seems to know what it actually does but it isn't a threat. You can do as Tech said or as I did, either one will work. If it comes up with the fileshield set to ask for PUP's, there should be an option to let it run and to remember the answer or add it to exclusions in the future.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 01:02:37 AM »
The file in question is C:\HP\Bin\EndProcess.exe It is on my wife's computer and has to do with HP Udate I believe.

It is a legitimate file in this location, part of the HP restoration function, assuming of course that you have an HP system ?

Having said that, this file is to all intents and purposes dormant unless you actually run an HP restore (which would turn back your system to when it left the factory). So this to me means this was detected on an on-demand scan ?

If so it also means that you modified the scan settings or you created a custom scan, were you had it scan for PUPs as by default the on-demand scan doesn't check for PUPs ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zfactor

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 03:42:58 AM »
i would simply add it to the exclusion list as tech said then it will let it run without issue.