Author Topic: avast v.6.0.1 and gameguard  (Read 11035 times)

lordarcane1983

avast v.6.0.1 and gameguard
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:07:53 AM »
okay, i play an mmorpg and it uses gameguard. not to fond of gameguard since it same to always be having some kind of problems but up untill now i never ran into these said problems.

anyways go to start my game and play and gameguard gives me an error:114. i did everything to allow ALL files in the gameguard folder and still same. only thing that works is un installing avast fully!

then the problem goes away and can login fine. like i have said i never had any problems before with avast and gameguard working together. and would like to keep running avast. but i'm not going to stop playing a game i been playing for long time just because of avast.

i run avast on my laptop and desktop and have game on both and never had any probelms

laptop is running vista home 32bit

desktop is running xp pro 32bit (not sure if avast and gameguard are running fine on it since my power supply went out few days ago and waiting on a new one)

PLEASE make an update to fix this.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: avast v.6.0.1 and gameguard
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:08:29 AM »
welcome to the forum.

if i remeber right gameguard is an application for playing games like ragnarok online. The mmorpg in question is it ragnarok? I think it has noting to do with avast in this case (could be wrong) but gameguard has to be updated sometimes sens the company behinds it relases updates to it sometimes a months. So have you update it resistantly so you running the latests update. It could be that simple and why you get the error from it.

good luck and let us know how it went for you. 
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:09:16 AM »
Could you please tell us which product of Avast you are using?  (Free, Pro, AIS)

Did you recently do an upgrade of Avast or a clean install or any other changes to your machine(s)?  If you did an upgrade, what was your previous version?

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software

- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

What version of Gameguard do you have?

The more information you can provide us in your post, the easier it is for us to help you.  Thank you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
gameguard has to be updated sometimes sens the company behinds it relases updates to it sometimes a months. So have you update it resistantly so you running the latests update. It could be that simple and why you get the error from it.
Just checked and the game does need to be updated: http://www.gameguard.co.kr/gameguard/faq/eng/index.htm.  Please confirm you have the latest updates for this game.

Here are the reasons for error code 114: http://www.gameguard.co.kr/gameguard/faq/eng/FAQ_114.htm according to your game vendor.  Please follow their instructions for how to resolve this problem after making sure you have the latest update of their game.  Thank you.

lordarcane1983

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
the  game is lineage 2, i been running avast free for about 2 years now and never had any problems yet, the gameguard auto updates and so does the game each time you open the game during the splash screen. and yes i know for sure avast is blocking it. and befor 6.0.1000 it has never done this to me. i have unstilled avast fully and game runs fine. did fresh install and get the error again. did everything lineage2 has told me to and did everything gameguard tells you too. they said its on avasts end now. so i came here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:14:36 AM by lordarcane1983 »

lordarcane1983

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »
avast v5.1.889 works just fine running the game and gameguard, no errors at all so i guess i'll keep running avast v5.1.889 till avast gets it working with version 6  >:(

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »
Have you tried disabling the Avast Behavior Shield to see if this resolves your problem?  You can just disable this shield when you are playing the game to see if this works. 

Here are the reasons for error code 114: http://www.gameguard.co.kr/gameguard/faq/eng/FAQ_114.htm according to your game vendor.  Please follow their instructions for how to resolve this problem.
Did you take a look at the game's link above and try their suggestions?

doktornotor

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »
<rant>
In ideal world, this Gameguard rootkit would be deleted by any AV that hits it and the vendor using such piece of s**t would go bankrupt, if not sent to jail. In post-modern DMCA world, the rootkit vendor will sue the AV vendor and users that try to get rid or circumvent of such crap. Oh, what a progress.  >:( :-X :'(
</rant>
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:27:41 AM by doktornotor »

lordarcane1983

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
Have you tried disabling the Avast Behavior Shield to see if this resolves your problem?  You can just disable this shield when you are playing the game to see if this works. 

Here are the reasons for error code 114: http://www.gameguard.co.kr/gameguard/faq/eng/FAQ_114.htm according to your game vendor.  Please follow their instructions for how to resolve this problem.
Did you take a look at the game's link above and try their suggestions?

yes as stated before i've done everything gameguard has told me to do plus everything the game has told me to do, and they both have said to contact avast and they should be able to tell me how to get it working with gameuard, and yes i disabled the behavior shield, plus all the others shields and still same error, the only fix was to go back a version or to fulling un install it.

lordarcane1983

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
<rant>
In ideal world, this Gameguard rootkit would be deleted by any AV that hits it and the vendor using such piece of s**t would go bankrupt, if not sent to jail. In post-modern DMCA world, the rootkit vendor will sue the AV vendor and users that try to get rid or circumvent of such crap. Oh, what a progress.  >:( :-X :'(
</rant>

your words helped me a ton, really if you can't help why post? ya i don't like gameguard but i'm not going to stop playing a game i enjoy play cuz they use gameguard punkbuster or any of these programs. if you don't like it then don't play the games that run them but doesn't mean we all should stop what we enjoy. again i don't even see why you wasted your time to post this when clearly i came to the forum for help and your post contains nothing helpful what so ever...

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
your words helped me a ton, really if you can't help why post? ya i don't like gameguard but i'm not going to stop playing a game i enjoy play cuz they use gameguard punkbuster or any of these programs. if you don't like it then don't play the games that run them but doesn't mean we all should stop what we enjoy. again i don't even see why you wasted your time to post this when clearly i came to the forum for help and your post contains nothing helpful what so ever...

Yeah, so you are paying to a game vendor to install a rootkit on your computer with their product, and then go complain to a security software vendor that the rootkit doesn't work well with their antivirus. Makes a lot of sense.  ::) You know what - it's all fault of users like you who are buying such crap. "I enjoy the game" ain't good enough excuse. Until you stop feeding money in the pockets of such companies they will never learn.

Yeah, I can't help - wait until someone "fixes" avast. Apparently compatibility with rootkits ain't one of the top priorities in AV/security suites development. As you might have noticed from the link I have posted, the "game protection" rootkit is very agressive and trouble it to be expected with many security suites.

GameGuard hides the game application process, monitors the entire memory range, terminates applications defined by the game vendor and INCA Internet to be cheats, blocks certain calls to DirectX functions and Windows APIs, Keylogs your keyboard input, and auto-updates itself to change as new threats surface.

flabergusted

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
I have the exact same problem on a different game running gameguard too. And I just updated avast recently yesterday. Everything was fine yesterday.

I tried disabling Avast to play the game, didn't work. I uninstalled avast, only then did it work. The moment I reinstalled avast, the problem occur.

Definitely avast's side. So please work this out. I am very sure a whole load of users out that are flaring with the same problem because a lot of games uses the gameguard and I do not want avast to be the reason to ruin the games because this anti-software has high potential.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:06:16 PM by flabergusted »

Martinss

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
sXe Injected too don't work.

flabergusted

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
I think right now, I would prefer a roll back.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »
This isuue is also reported in Japanese forums (about Ragnarok Online).
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72344.0

Currently this issue happens only with Vista 32bit environment, and only solution is downgrade to 5.x.

Yeah, so you are paying to a game vendor to install a rootkit on your computer with their product, and then go complain to a security software vendor that the rootkit doesn't work well with their antivirus. Makes a lot of sense.  ::) You know what - it's all fault of users like you who are buying such crap. "I enjoy the game" ain't good enough excuse. Until you stop feeding money in the pockets of such companies they will never learn.

Yeah, I can't help - wait until someone "fixes" avast. Apparently compatibility with rootkits ain't one of the top priorities in AV/security suites development. As you might have noticed from the link I have posted, the "game protection" rootkit is very agressive and trouble it to be expected with many security suites.
... yeah I don't like Gameguard either, but I hope avast! team fix this issue. Now I can see some users start to tell others quitting avast only because this happens :'(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:05:09 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。