Author Topic: problems with avast 6 (licensed), firewall and win 2000 pro  (Read 3638 times)

jimkono

I recently upgraded my free avast to a 3 computer license package, briefly, no problems with my 2 XP computers, (a laptop and desktop with wireless lan cards, but my windows 2000 pro machine is choking on the firewall feature of the Avast 6. this machine has the same model wireless card as the XP machine, and what happens is that the wireless card ceases to function when the firewall feature is installed, and every time the attempt is made to initiallize the firewall, a message to the effect of "firewall cannot be started" comes up.

remove the firewall feature from avast, and the wireless card comes right back on line.

I had the tech support people from the phone center even working within my computer, they were investigating the registry, and services section in computer management, and the senior tech the case was lateraled to, ended by saying that the 2000 pro had compatabilty issues with avast 6, and I would need to find a earlier version of security suite in order to have a functioning firewall feature.

I have not been able to find avast 5 on any site that looked trustworthy, they all seem to be warez/ crack sites, so no thanks.

questions:
1) was the tech properly informed or just getting me out of his hair by de-installing th firewall feature and giving the compatability explanation?
2) will the earlier, version 5, avast suite be preferred for my win 2000 pro machine?
3)if so would anyone be good enough to let me obtain it from them?

again, I have a legit 3 machine license that I just purchased 2 days ago.

I'd like to have the firewall on the 2000 pro machine too, seems a shame to pay for the full package, and not be able to use all the features

thanks to any responders in advance

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: problems with avast 6 (licensed), firewall and win 2000 pro
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
It's not a good idea to downgrade to version 5... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

doktornotor

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:36 PM »
no problems with my 2 XP computers, (a laptop and desktop with wireless lan cards, but my windows 2000 pro machine is choking on the firewall feature of the Avast 6. this machine has the same model wireless card as the XP machine, and what happens is that the wireless card ceases to function when the firewall feature is installed, and every time the attempt is made to initiallize the firewall, a message to the effect of "firewall cannot be started" comes up.

Are you using the same drivers version on your XP and 2000 machines?

jimkono

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
It's not a good idea to downgrade to version 5... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.

Later today I will try the un-install tool and your proceedure and let you know the results, thanks so far for the ideas.

jimkono

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:12 PM »
no problems with my 2 XP computers, (a laptop and desktop with wireless lan cards, but my windows 2000 pro machine is choking on the firewall feature of the Avast 6. this machine has the same model wireless card as the XP machine, and what happens is that the wireless card ceases to function when the firewall feature is installed, and every time the attempt is made to initiallize the firewall, a message to the effect of "firewall cannot be started" comes up.

Are you using the same drivers version on your XP and 2000 machines?

Hello, yes, the netgear driver is the same on both desktop machines, (XP and 2000 Pro), as I installed the wireless cards at the same time. thanks for the help, Also every hardware aspect of the 2 machines actually is identical.

jimkono

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
FUNNY HERE IS THE RESPONSE OF USA AVAST TECH SUPPORT:

Thank you for contacting AVAST Software company with your concerns.

"My name is Michal and I will assist you today.

I am sorry, but no version of avast! Internet Security is compatible with Windows 2000.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me again."

I like this product, but it seems avast tech support is as disorganized as that of the rest of the computer industry, frustrating to say the least
__
Best regards

Michal Zrubecky
AVAST Software a.s.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
FUNNY HERE IS THE RESPONSE OF USA AVAST TECH SUPPORT:

Thank you for contacting AVAST Software company with your concerns.

"My name is Michal and I will assist you today.

I am sorry, but no version of avast! Internet Security is compatible with Windows 2000.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me again."

I like this product, but it seems avast tech support is as disorganized as that of the rest of the computer industry, frustrating to say the least
__
Best regards

Michal Zrubecky
AVAST Software a.s.

See http://www.avast.com/internet-security#tab2

Windows 2000 is not supported by AIS 6.x

To run avast! Internet Security your PC must meet the following criteria.
Operating Systems Supported

* Windows 7
    * Windows Vista (any Edition excl. Starter Edition)
    * Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher

Minimum Hardware Requirements

* Processor Pentium 3
    * 256 MB RAM
    * 370 MB of free hard disk space

Please note that avast! Internet Security runs only on PCs with Windows XP and newer. Older Windows operating systems (Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000) are not supported.

Please also note that avast! will not run properly if you have other antivirus software on your PC.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner