Author Topic: Behaviour shield causes excessive slowdown  (Read 6133 times)

tasker

Behaviour shield causes excessive slowdown
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »
I am running the current version of Avast 5 on an old machine with a 1200 Athlon Processor and 1.25 Gb of memory.Windows XP (SP3). I have used Avast for a good number of years and been very satisfied, but recently found my machine becoming very slow. After trying the normal things (disk space, defragment, check for viruses, trojans etc) I tested the effect of switching on and off different modules of the Avast protection.

I have identified that on my machine the Avast Behaviour Shield has a very significant effect upon the time that operations take.

Behaviour shield on   Behaviour shield off
Open Microsoft Word6 secs<1 sec
Open print dialogue within Word5 secs1 sec
Open Firefox16 secs4 secs
Open Photoshop 71 min 4 secs7 secs

These timings are consistent and reproducable - the only difference is whether the Behaviour Shield is on or off.

All programs tend to get more complicated and demand more processing resources over time, but it seems to me that Avast is in danger of becoming unusable on older machines. For the time being, I have turned the Behaviour Shield off permanently.

I would be interested to learn if anyone else is encountering this problem or can suggest a different solution.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:15:06 PM by tasker »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Behaviour shield causes excessive slowdown
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:14:48 PM »
What filesystem is your drive (the one with the programs) formatted to?

tasker

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
FAT32

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
This was one of the problems in v5.1 which should be fixed in v6.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tasker

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:13:34 PM »
I have now upgraded to Avast v6 and the Behaviour Shield no longer seems to be causing delays - thanks.

As v6 is not an automatic update from v5, it would have been helpful to let users of v5 know that there was a problem which could slow down machines in some cases.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »
I have now upgraded to Avast v6 and the Behaviour Shield no longer seems to be causing delays - thanks.

As v6 is not an automatic update from v5, it would have been helpful to let users of v5 know that there was a problem which could slow down machines in some cases.

The Avast 5 GUI informs you about the new version. Don't know if it would install automatically (if you had the option enabled, which is prerequisite), but I would assume so.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »

Good point.

Most problems with Avast are discussed on this forum.  So if you spend a few minutes several times a day dropping in on this forum you will probably become informed when the problem is identified.

No intent to be sarcastic. :)   Your point is correct.  I was just pointing out the benefit that Avast users can obtain by visiting this forum on a regular basis whether they choose to participate or not.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:02:05 PM »

You mean like sending a popup message to all our users, saying hey if you're seeing some slowdowns on FAT32 volumes you may want to upgrade to the latest version? Or sending it via email?

Sorry, but I don't think it would be appreciated, especially by the vast majority of users who have not been affected by the problem...

Thanks
Vlk

tasker

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
Update on my setup had the default settings of updating the virus definitions automatically and asking whether to install updates to the virus engine. I do not recall being given an option to update to v6. Likewise I continued on v4 for some time without being aware there was a v5 - only spotted it when installing avast on someone else's machine.

Like most users, I only go into the forums if I am aware of a problem. I just want my AV to work away quietly in the background.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »

You mean like sending a popup message to all our users, saying hey if you're seeing some slowdowns on FAT32 volumes you may want to upgrade to the latest version? Or sending it via email?

Sorry, but I don't think it would be appreciated, especially by the vast majority of users who have not been affected by the problem...

Thanks
Vlk

well not like that, but i think a small popup saying a new program version is available should be there for reasons mentioned above me
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

well not like that, but i think a small popup saying a new program version is available should be there for reasons mentioned above me

It will, of course... as always.
We just need to throttle it a little.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »
@ firzen771
You might have noticed that this forum received many irate complaints on how to 'stop' avast constantly nagging them to upgrade from avast 4.8. In avast 4.8 there was no internal (GUI) way to update the program as if you checked for program updates it would report you had the latest version (which was correct for avast 4.8). That was the reason for the larger out of GUI warning to update.

The avast5 Program Update setting of Ask, should do just that pop-up a small notice that a Program update is available. I don't know how many times this is displayed. In 5.x after the release of avast 6.0.1000 I believe that you could update from the UI and should have got the pop-up notice of a program update being available.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
The avast5 Program Update setting of Ask, should do just that pop-up a small notice that a Program update is available. I don't know how many times this is displayed. In 5.x after the release of avast 6.0.1000 I believe that you could update from the UI and should have got the pop-up notice of a program update being available.

i guess it has quite a long delay before it actually shows that popup since ive never gotten one, i always have to open the UI and see that it says im outdated

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:16:34 PM »
The program update cycle (and notification) is usually spread over seven days.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »
The program update cycle (and notification) is usually spread over seven days.

ah, i see