Author Topic: Heuristics Sensitivity  (Read 21170 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Heuristics Sensitivity
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:08:35 AM »
I like to have this set to HIGH for each shield for top protection but i am wondering is it better to just set it to NORMAL? What has everyone else set it to and for what reasons?
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
Re: Heuristics Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »
Taken from AVASTS help..you can find this on the bottom right with this (?) as icon.it explains everything about the program and its features along with their settings..this is what heuristics do :"As well as the standard process of scanning for known malware infections, avast! also performs a heuristic analysis to identify potential, but as yet unknown malware. This is done by looking for certain characteristics that may be a sign of a potential infection. By clicking on the orange bars, you can adjust the level of heuristics sensitivity to Low, Normal or High, or you can turn it off completely. Increasing the sensitivity, increases the chances are of detecting a virus but also the likelihood of "false positives". "

ive set it to "high" and it hasnt find any false positives yet,so i will leave it as it is..now for you,i suggest you to set it to high and if it finds too many false positives(for example programs you use and you know they are clean) then setting it to normal may solve the problem ;)

Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:00:23 AM »
yeah, confirming that setting it to high doesn't generate FPs here, and I've done that for months now.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:06:52 AM »
yeah, confirming that setting it to high doesn't generate FPs here, and I've done that for months now.
+1
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:38:56 AM »
+1
Yeah same here, had heuristics set to max for about 6 months now, no FPs.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:07:22 AM »
The same here :)

But personally I would like to have more aggressive heuristics. I wouldn't mind a few false positives on the highest heuristic setting ;)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 07:25:01 AM »
I like to have this set to HIGH for each shield for top protection but i am wondering is it better to just set it to NORMAL? What has everyone else set it to and for what reasons?

The reasons behind setting it to above normal are pretty obvious; To catch things that haven't been discovered yet.  There is an obvious setback of a potential False Positive (that current Avast users seemingly haven't had problems with too much, judging by the responses so far).

If you're willing to risk the fact that you might have a false-positive occasionally while making sure that your computer might not get the latest computer virus, then go set it to HIGH.  If not, keep it at NORMAL and you probably won't have to worry about FP's too much.  then again, you might get a new virus.

Up to you I guess.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
I have it set to High ever since and i haven't got a single false positive so far because of it. So having it set to High is the obvious choice.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog