Author Topic: Avast Privacy  (Read 2841 times)

johnwolf

Avast Privacy
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:07:03 AM »
Known privacy invasion (Adobe Flash Player) recomended with links. AVG $ Norton havd built in blocks at firewall level for this title. This product advertises that it blocks unauthorise active x to Internet Explorer.

Gargamel360

Re: Avast Privacy
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:24:43 AM »
I'm sorry, no offense, but I can not make out what you are trying to say or ask.  Could you try re-phrasing the question?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:26:23 AM »
I'm sorry, no offense, but I can not make out what you are trying to say or ask.  Could you try re-phrasing the question?
+1 but I was ashamed to post this  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:42:33 AM »
I think what he may be asking is.

Norton Personal Firewall has built in ActiveX controls that blocks programs like Adobe and Internet Explorer from inserting ActiveX vulnerabilities into your system.  Does Avast have the same ability to control ActiveX intrusions that result from using Internet Explorer and/or Adobe?

NIS allows you to automatically block and selectively determine which, if any ActiveX controls should be allowed to download and execute on your computer.

http://www.z-warez.com/norton-internet-security-2011-18-5-0-125/

Internet Explorer in 2008 had a number of published security vulnerabilities. According to research done by security research firm Secunia, Microsoft did not respond as quickly as its competitors in fixing security holes and making patches available.[73] The firm also reported 366 vulnerabilities in ActiveX controls, an increase from the prior year.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Internet_Explorer

Here is something about this on IE9 RC
Internet Explorer 9 ActiveX Filtering: Fix Flash, Java And Other Plugins

I have seen several reports on the Internet that users of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 9 have troubles playing Flash videos, Java apples, games and other contents powered by plugins such as Java or Adobe Flash. The reports have emerged after the release of the IE9 Release Candidate and it seems that they are linked to the newly introduced ActiveX Filtering option.

ActiveX Filtering is disabled by default but can be disabled by clicking on Tools > Safety > ActiveX Filtering. One of the easiest ways to find out that it is indeed the ActiveX Filtering that is repsonsible for broken contents is to enable ActiveX Filtering and visit Youtube. Youtube will notify the user that it is necessary to upgrade to Adobe Flash Player to watch the video. Users who disable ActiveX Filtering can watch the video without following that advice.

Many websites have suggested to disable ActiveX Filtering completely to be able to play games and watch videos again. That however is not the best solution available. While it is working it eliminates the added protection of the security module in Internet Explorer.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/02/16/internet-explorer-9-activex-filtering-fix-flash-java-and-other-plugins/

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »
I think what he may be asking is.

Norton Personal Firewall has built in ActiveX controls that blocks programs like Adobe and Internet Explorer from inserting ActiveX vulnerabilities into your system.  Does Avast have the same ability to control ActiveX intrusions that result from using Internet Explorer and/or Adobe?

Yeah, that´s exactly what I hate about Norton. It sticks its nose just about everywhere. IMNSHO this simply is a job for browser vendor to fix (preferably nuke the ActiveX brainfart completely and come with something sane), not for firewall vendors. Failing that, there are tons of browsers to choose from beyond IE.