Author Topic: Avast hangs system during update attempt  (Read 2615 times)

joey3155

Avast hangs system during update attempt
« on: December 25, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
This is a weird problem. Avast will hang my system whenever I do a update attempt. The hang manifests itself usually within a few seconds I can move my mouse, I can click on interface components I just can't open new programs, or anything that requires significant action on Window's part. If I attempt to navigate from a webpage say IE is already open it will hang but I can switch focus between already opened tabs till my heart is content.

This problem started about a month ago. The last time I did a full system scan which was a few days ago it was clean, so I did a scan with Spyware Terminator 2012 it was clean to, I did a scan with Outpost Security Suite 7.1 it was clean to. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1 the other programs I use is Outpost Security Suite 7.1.1 (3431.520.1248), Spyware Terminator 2012 3.0.0.50, And Avast Antivirus 6.0.1367.

ady4um

Re: Avast hangs system during update attempt
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
Is the rest functioning correctly? Besides the update attempt, is avast working correctly? Is the update attempt complete? Or it fails? Have you tried a repair of avast and reboot?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
Most probably, an interference between Spyware Terminator and avast or, if anything on Outpost looks like resident protection against malware.
By the way, I really don't see ST with such a good (worthy) companion to avast. It was on old days... ::)
The best things in life are free.

joey3155

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 02:46:55 AM »
Is the rest functioning correctly? Besides the update attempt, is avast working correctly? Is the update attempt complete? Or it fails? Have you tried a repair of avast and reboot?

Yes, except the update function the rest of Avast is performing perfectly. The update attempt never completes and I eventually end up reseting the system and logging back in because the Avast hangs the system and it never recovers. However, oddly enough when this problem first manifested the update did finish some eight or nine hours later. But I've tried letting it just run on subsequent incidents and it never finishes. I will try to repair avast today.

Most probably, an interference between Spyware Terminator and avast or, if anything on Outpost looks like resident protection against malware.
By the way, I really don't see ST with such a good (worthy) companion to avast. It was on old days... ::)

Any recommendations on what to replace ST with? Or is it easier to add the Avast folder to ST's exceptions?