Author Topic: WebRep block sites?  (Read 7885 times)

J. L.

WebRep block sites?
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »
Why isn't this implemented? I'm sure it could be useful on sites missed by the Web and Network shields, for example fraudulent sites.

If it does get added, please include a "go there anyways" option.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:19:27 PM by J. L. »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: WebRep block sites?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
The web shield does this already. If you desire to enter a site and not abort you can this by adjusting the web shield setting via the GUI. Web shield...action...change to "ask". :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:47:38 PM »
Web Rep does not seem dependable enough so far to have the responsibility of site blocking.  Maybe later after it matures a bit.  But not now.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »
The web shield does this already

OK, let's try again:

I'm sure it could be useful on sites missed by the Web and Network shields, for example fraudulent sites.

WOT does something similar. Also, by chance I came across BitDefender TrafficLight beta which does this for known malicious sites:

Testers that insist on clicking the red ones will be rewarded with bigger stop signs and a choice to proceed to viewing the rogue page with all the known harmful elements removed.

Relevant discussion @ Wilders Security.

J. L.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
@Gargamel360: I see. Hope it does get implemented in the future.

@Para-Noid: I know about those, but they're separate programs unrelated to my request.

Jack 1000

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
I would ununstall WebRep and get Web of Trust: www.mywot.com  When used in conjunction with Avast!, you have outstanding protection.  WOT will not only provide color-coded safety ratings for sites. (Green-excellent to good-Yellow-Caution, and Red-Danger) it will block all Red Sites with a warning message by default before you enter the site.

Users are in the millions and you can rate sites.  You can also become a registered user and participate in the forum communities and comment about your experiences with a site.  Like Web Rep, you get color coded ratings with WOT as you browse and search.  Additionally, if you have Hotmail, G-Mail, or Yahoo Mail, WOT gives you a color rating assigned to any like in an e-mail message.  Ratings are updated every 30 minutes.  I love it.

Jack

J. L.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
I use both actually. They're compatible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:30 AM »
Yes they are compatible and simply uninstalling the webrep as Jack 1000 suggests is possibly the worst suggestion you could follow.

If every one uninstalls it how is it to mature growing the database to make the results more relevant, so people should use it to rate the sites that they visit. Not to mention when the other proposed developments are introduced (data based on the avast virus labs info, etc.) it will be more of a useful feature.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »

Also, by chance I came across BitDefender TrafficLight beta which does this for known malicious sites:

Bit Defender TrafficLight Beta eats RAM like the Cookie Monster eats cookies.  Help screen didn't work and there was no indication in my IE9 or Firefox browsers that it was doing anything.  

Fortunately the Uninstaller appears to have worked. ;D ;D

At this point I would put it in the Beta garbage can. 8)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:18:27 AM by Nesivos »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 01:48:38 AM »
WebRep is still new, fresh out of the box.
Until then see my post above. Or upgrade to AIS for site-blocking capabilities.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

J. L.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »
Avast Free's latest version includes Site Blocking.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:03:23 AM »
Avast Free's latest version includes Site Blocking.

Yes it does, but that is unrelated to the webrep function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J. L.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 02:07:01 AM »
Okay back on topic, when will the WebRep block feature be added? No need to give me a specific date, but just a general estimation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 02:13:13 AM »
Currently no one knows if a block feature would be added, nothing has been said about this in possible future developments. As for a date even a general estimate isn't possible.

Jack 1000

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »
Yes they are compatible and simply uninstalling the webrep as Jack 1000 suggests is possibly the worst suggestion you could follow.

If every one uninstalls it how is it to mature growing the database to make the results more relevant, so people should use it to rate the sites that they visit. Not to mention when the other proposed developments are introduced (data based on the avast virus labs info, etc.) it will be more of a useful feature.

This is a good point and yes, it would help Web Rep develop by having it installed.  But my concern would be, if WOT says a site is bad or good, and Web Rep says the opposite, I think this may cause more confusion for the average user than, "double protection" from both plug ins.  However, this is just my opinion.

Note that it is still interesting to study statistical views of sites comparing how WOT and Web Rep evaluate them.  David is correct that Web Rep needs a chance to mature with and within the Avast community.  

It will be interesting to see how Avast will use virus lab data to correspond to Web Rep site ratings.

Jack