Author Topic: HighSpeed Internet Access 1000M FTTH (Fiber to Home)  (Read 4141 times)

whalehk

HighSpeed Internet Access 1000M FTTH (Fiber to Home)
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »
Hi forum readers and Avast team...

My home installed a new FTTH (Fiber to Home) 1000M service, with 1000M upload and 1000M download speed.
Here is what my test doing.

Using Avast Internet Security 6.0.1000, Signature: 110319-1, Family license pack.
Home only have my machine turn on, (no other traffic maker) running with Asus RT-N56U router, Hardware NAT enabled.

When the Avast fully loaded, all protection enabled
My upload/download speed: 326Mbps / 275Mbps

When I disabled all Avast features (no protection)
My upload/download speed: 749Mbps / 764Mbps

So, are there any ways to make the protection engine for network, scan.. etc able to handle this high speed?

The Avast slow me down nearly two-third, a 70% reduction of my available bandwidth...
(which I think it a waste of the FTTH service)

Do you think the Avast can handle such speedy traffic? any ways Avast able to improve it?

Still, have to say thank you for the team hardwork on making such a great Avast software...

doktornotor

Re: HighSpeed Internet Access 1000M FTTH (Fiber to Home)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »
This is pretty much normal for all AVs. And no, I don't think it can scan your traffic with gigabit speed unless you have a supercomputer. I won't suggest you to turn off network/web shield since that seriously harms your protection.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
If you really believe that uninstalling web-shield will help you, remove it and make sure only use Sandboxed web-browser :)
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

DavidCo

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
@whalehk
Oh wow
It would be helpful if you posted your PC specs

whalehk

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
my system spec.  Asus Rampage II Extreme, i7-920 OC to 3.2GHz, 12G Memory, IE 9 with Cache using ram drive. Win7 x64 Ultimate, 2x Nvidia 285 SLI. Water-cooling motherboard, s/b, n/b, cpu and display cards.
 ;)

whalehk

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 02:01:28 AM »
So, are there any workable solution that can balance my speed and security?? ???
Thank you!

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:18:17 AM »
my system spec.  Asus Rampage II Extreme, i7-920 OC to 3.2GHz, 12G Memory, IE 9 with Cache using ram drive. Win7 x64 Ultimate, 2x Nvidia 285 SLI. Water-cooling motherboard, s/b, n/b, cpu and display cards.
 ;)

Wow that is quite a system. 8)

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:38 AM »
 ;)
Wow that is quite a system. 8)
Yeah, I was drooling a little at those specs.

So, are there any workable solution that can balance my speed and security?? ???
Thank you!
Well, I would guess try to disable the WebShield first, see if that speeds you up, rather than all of Avast!'s protection.  This isn't the wisest move from a security standpoint, but on the other hand I get how you want to get the bandwidth you pay for, and that is a pretty high loss.  And its your PC, you paid for it after all.  ;)   Just understand the risk you are undertaking, disabling an essential part of Avast!'s overall protection.  You might want to take another precaution as stated previously like sandboxing your browser or some such to partially make up for what you are taking away, if you decide to go without it.