Author Topic: trojan virus in temp files  (Read 6265 times)

battybint

trojan virus in temp files
« on: September 22, 2004, 12:05:05 AM »
friend of mine has a trojan in the internet temp files...I know how to turn the restore off in Me but for the life of me can i find this thing in windows 98se version. or is there another way of getting rid of this bug.. ???

Just1Vet

Re:trojan virus in temp files
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 03:45:13 AM »
Windows 98 does not have a built in restore feature. That didn't come out until ME hit.

To clean out every little nook and cranny, let me suggest
http://cleanup.stevengould.org/
Cleanup 3.1

I really like this tool. It is very fast an efficient.  we use it all the time at work to clean machines between users or anything that gets hit by a virus or malware. All temp files, cookies, usage tracks, worthless backups will be erased.

battybint

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:55:35 AM »
thanks i`ll try it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 11:54:28 AM »
Hi battybint, welcome to the forums.

Simply clearing the browser Temporary Internet files should clear some of the problem, but the trojan could have got embeded into your friends system.

With a little more information we can be more helpful.

Please Help us to Help you - we need more information to be able to help fully,
    - Your Operating System, is it up to date?
   - Your email program - if applicable.
   - avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0436-4 (see about avast!)
   - Virus Name - infected filename
   - Location of infected file, e.g. C:\windows\system32\infectedfilename.exe

visit the User's FAQ thread, it will give you a lot of useful advice.

General Advice & Tools for virus/trojan/malware removal

If you need more help, come back here with more info....

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

battybint

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 01:47:12 PM »
I`ve managed to clear the virus up and my head feels like a shed now. but thankyou for all your help people

The Bridge

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 11:53:56 PM »
:o Found some trz*.tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp as in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp. Could not be repaired/cleaned by Avast 4.1 Home. So I kept on moving to Chest and reporting...
Always re-appearing (i.e.detected as per 2 files with changed names)
Could not find 'the source' of it. Reported (Log Viewer) as Trojan-gen.{UPX} & {Other} as well as Afcore [Trj]! So a Backdoor variety.
Entering the Forum today I found the message by Just1Vet about Cleanup3.1 to be found at http://cleanup.stevengould.org/

Now I'm  :D again as it seems in my case that cleaning up via Cleanup3.1 solved 'my' problem. After scanning with Avast 4.1 Home as well as House Call (PC-Cillin), no trz*.tmp files were to be found!    A clean machine (for as long as it takes off-course). Thank you Alwil and Forum Vet1!   8)