Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

SMTP server timeout

(1/4) > >>

browbotham:
I use Outlook Express on XP Home and when I send large files I find that the delivery goes very quickly (the email scanner is receiving the file and checking before sending on) but I get SMTP server timeout errors from OE while the scanner is still actually sending the file. I assume that OE is waiting for a reply from the scanner and not from the actual SMTP server which is why it thinks that a timeout has occurred because as far as it is concerned the file has been completely delivered.

Is there any way to fix this behaviour ?

Eddy:
Increase the timeout time in avast.ini as well as in your email client. This is explained in many threads here already. Do a little search for the exact places where you must make the changes.

Lisandro:
I'll say increase both timeouts (Outlook and avast).
You can change avast timeout in the advanced tab of the Internet Mail provider settings.  ;)

TimV:
I have a fast cable connection. Whenever I enable the mail scanner for outgoing mail I get timeout errors, except for the really tiny messages. However, I dont think the problem is avast or my connection. I tried increasing the timeouts in both OE and Avast, it didn't help.

Some test message e-mail that I got trouble with was sent within a couple of seconds when I disabled the outgoing mail scanner. But when I enabled it, the same message generates a timeout after about 1 min. I dont think scanning the file takes 55 seconds, so whats going on here? I got WinXP SP2, perhaps that might be the source of the trouble...(?)

Lisandro:
Tim, I wish I can help you...
What messages, I mean, is there an attached file, right?
Which file, which size...

What the hell you're receiving this error messages...  :(
I think it's not SP2... everything right here. SP2 does not change this part of the Windows as I know  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version