Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

SMTP server timeout

<< < (2/4) > >>

TimV:
Here's my Outlook Express error message (in Dutch ;-))

De server heeft de verbinding onverwachts afgebroken. Mogelijke oorzaken zijn problemen met de server, netwerkproblemen of te lange inactiviteit. Onderwerp 'fdfssd', Account: 'mail.chello.nl', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Poort: 25, Beveiligd(SSL): Nee, Foutnummer: 0x800CCC0F

and a part of the aswMaiSv.log:
09/27/04 10:41:39:   --SMTP Mail is clean
09/27/04 10:42:42:   SendTimeout error 10054(0x00002746)
09/27/04 10:42:42:   RecvTimeout error 10054(0x00002746)

stopping the mail service doesn't make much of a difference:
09/27/04 10:45:54:   --SMTP Mail not tested
09/27/04 10:47:10:   SendTimeout error 10054(0x00002746)
09/27/04 10:47:10:   RecvTimeout error 10054(0x00002746)

I have tried sending an e-mail with:
- PDF attachment of about 200kb
- Word DOC attachment of about 120kb
- TXT attachment of 5 bytes !!
This all generated the same error.

What does work however is an e-mail with about 1.3Mb of this:
testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttest etc...
Just 1.3Mb text and no attachment. This seems to be working fine.

So it seems there is a problem with sending attachments unrelated to their size.
I enabled the E-mail server communication log in Outlook Express, or at least I thought I did, as I checked the box. However I can't find any log file on my hard disk generated by OE. According to the help file it should be named smtp.log. I searched for 'smtp' and 'log' but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Eddy:
Verhoog de timeout settings in zowel Avast als OE. Je provider scans attachments en dat gaat niet alijd even snel.

Increase the timeout in both Avast as OE. Your provider scans the attachment, and that delays often.

TimV:
Ik zeg toch net al dat ik dat al gedaan had en dat het niet helpt. En het scannen van een text file van 5 bytes door mijn provider duurt een minuut?? Ik dacht het niet. Dit is echt niet het probleem. Als ik Avast mailscanner uitzet (via de Post Bescherming Wizard) zijn deze berichten binnen enkele seconden weg. Met Avast mailscanner aan wordt het bericht ook binnen seconden gescand (te zien in de log) en daarna probeert Avast het bericht te versturen, hier gaat het duidelijk mis.

I already told you that I've done that and that it did not help. And you're saying it could take my provider a minute to scan a text file of 5 bytes?? I don't think so. This really isn't the problem. When I disable mail scanning (by using the Mail Protection Wizard) messages like this are sent within seconds. If I enable the mailscanner, the message is scanned almost instantly (can be seen in the log). After that Avast tries to send the message and this is where it fails.

S.Z.Craftec:
Go into INTERNET MAIL PROVIDER in your ON-ACCES SCANNER. Click on customize, and then click on HEURISTIC tab. Set sensitivity to MEDIUM. See if that helps.

That helped me few months ago when I had same problem... btw, I'm on High-Speed broadband connection too.

Cheers !

TimV:
It already is on medium :(
I just tried to send another e-mail without attachment and again I got timeout problems! It seems my theory on attachments being the problem was not correct. I think Ill just bypass the scanner for outgoing mail for now. Thanks for your replies anyway.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version