Author Topic: Display Self-Defense warning if its disabled  (Read 3492 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Display Self-Defense warning if its disabled
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »
It would be nice if avast! would be displaying a warning (just like for disabled shields) inside status page when Self-Defense is disabled and offer a "FIX" button for it.
Sometimes users might be fiddling with this setting and forget to enable it back.
These days Self-Defense is a critical part of antivirus and as such it would be a smart thing to notify user about it when Self-Defense is disabled.
Like we say it, better safe than sorry right?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Re: Display Self-Defense warning if its disabled
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »
It would be nice if avast! would be displaying a warning (just like for disabled shields) inside status page when Self-Defense is disabled and offer a "FIX" button for it.
Sometimes users might be fiddling with this setting and forget to enable it back.
These days Self-Defense is a critical part of antivirus and as such it would be a smart thing to notify user about it when Self-Defense is disabled.
Like we say it, better safe than sorry right?
+1
Also it would be nice when the warning status will be displayed 'cause of old VDB.
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
I've been saying this for a while now...(more specifically elsewhere...)

Having opened avast a few times and found that the self defense has been disabled for whatever reason, I would certainly appreciate this.

Scott

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
yeah I think this has been requested in the "other place..."  ;D I second that too. That's very easy to forget and it can take hours/days until you need to reopen the setting section and see that you left the self-protection module de-activated.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
Either because you test something or because you troubleshoot. I used to forget to re-enable shields quite often when i was testing with avast! 4.8. But now i see the warning in the tray icon or i simply set shields to be disabled for just 1 hour and then they re-enable themself even if i forget. Self-Defense should have similar options. The warning for it would be a good start.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
Absolutely, as mine has been off for a while as I was playing with this problem of the scheduled monthly scan problem at the end of March. I was using the avast.ini to change the scheduling to off 0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
Already voted: Yes for this idea. (Elsewhere. ;))
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
Absolutely, as mine has been off for a while as I was playing with this problem of the scheduled monthly scan problem at the end of March. I was using the avast.ini to change the scheduling to off 0.

+1

Happened to me also. A visualisation would be great.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

jnsson

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »
When I disable Self-Defense, a warning pops up and ask me to accept that the self-defense should be turned of

doktornotor

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:23:10 AM »
When I disable Self-Defense, a warning pops up and ask me to accept that the self-defense should be turned of

... and you answer yes because you wanted to disable it temporarily and then forget about it altogether. As said, should be reflected in the GUI.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »

That is just for that very moment. But if you close the interface and look at it later, there is no mention of Self-Defense being disabled anywhere. So you can and you will forget to set it back. Only thing that reflects the status is that checkbox under Troubleshooting section.