Author Topic: "Server Execution Failed" message  (Read 4198 times)

jbone

"Server Execution Failed" message
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
I get server execution failed message box whenever I try to play a music or video file with my windows media player 12.

It only started happening after I installed avast anti virus.

Is this a common problem with Avast? All other video programs work, just not windows media player. I've tried restarting the service and that does not work.

BTCentral

Re: "Server Execution Failed" message
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
Is this a common problem with Avast? All other video programs work, just not windows media player. I've tried restarting the service and that does not work.
No, not common at all.

Are you sure it is actually executing WMP, and not some other executable pretending to be WMP?
Either way I would highly recommend re-installing WMP.

If you are using Windows 7, it is done as follows:

Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Media Features -> Untick the Windows Media player checkbox, click OK.
It will then remove WMP from your system. After doing that, re-tick the checkbox and wait for it to re-install.

Hopefully this should resolve your issue.

jbone

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
No, not common at all.

Are you sure it is actually executing WMP, and not some other executable pretending to be WMP?
Either way I would highly recommend re-installing WMP.

If you are using Windows 7, it is done as follows:

Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Media Features -> Untick the Windows Media player checkbox, click OK.
It will then remove WMP from your system. After doing that, re-tick the checkbox and wait for it to re-install.

Hopefully this should resolve your issue.

I've already tried that. I can't even start the windows media player for it's executable file.

BTCentral

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
I've already tried that. I can't even start the windows media player for it's executable file.
Have you tried running a full system scan?

Either you are infected with something, or windows files are corrupted by the sounds of things.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:30:54 PM by BTCentral »