Author Topic: Haptime Cleaning for avast! Cleaner?  (Read 3916 times)

softwareguy

Haptime Cleaning for avast! Cleaner?
« on: September 30, 2004, 01:36:28 AM »
It would be a good idea to add Haptime cleaning into avast! cleaner? I have a friend that got this and avast! deleted all the HTML files on his computer.  ::)

whocares

Re:Haptime Cleaning for avast! Cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 11:48:34 AM »
Hi,

sorry to hear about this, but:
- did he try repairing the infected files
- or move them to quarantine ?

Deletion generally isn't a good idea if one doesn't know what to do..
 ;)

And some files aren't repairable at all, and others get deleted by the worm itself..

P.S.: he should make sure that all Windowsupdates including for IE are applied, then this wouldn't have happened in the first place..

;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 11:51:15 AM by whocares »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 11:57:57 AM »
Your friend should have applied all security patches/updates that MS offers. MS has released a patch about 5 years(!) ago that prevent this exploit in OE.

Haptime is recognized by Avast. And Norton has a tool to undo the changes that haptime makes to files.

Avast only deletes files if the user tells to do so. Either by configuring Avast to delete them automaticly, or choosing delete when Avast asks what to do.

I think you friend should follow the steps explained on the page I created. (link in my signature)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 12:01:22 PM by Eddy »

softwareguy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 08:30:07 PM »
OK, my friend has a lot of trojans on his computer, so he decided to press Delete All on the popup screen that avast! popped up. When avast! is detecting Haptime infected HTM files, it started deleting all of it. :-\

Although I stopped that and used Norton's tool to remove the infection. I know that avast! couldn't do anything to stop the delete all feature, but then I think it is a nice idea to add Haptime to the cleaner.

Thanks!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 08:36:58 PM »
If he is lucky, he still can get at least some of the htm files back with Handy Recovery. He must ofcourse clean them after restoring with the util from Norton.