Author Topic: Avast slowing down Thunderbird  (Read 2877 times)

4u1e

Avast slowing down Thunderbird
« on: September 30, 2004, 02:00:35 PM »
Hi

Long time user of Avast and Thunderbird, but recently Tbird has slowed down drastically - taking ages to complete any actions.

Based on some posts over at the Thunderbird forum I tried disabling Avast temporarily. Lo and behold! Normal speed was restored in Thunderbird. (Not specifically an Avast issue, btw, similar problems reported for Norton and some others).

Now obviously I don't want to turn my AV off permanently - any suggestions on what would be best to tweak to get a better balance? Any other Thunderbird users out there?

I'm going to start by excluding the stored mail from the standard shield I guess, but I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers

Avast: Home Edition 4.1.428
Thunderbird: version 0.7.2 (20040707)
Windows 98 SE
Intel Celeron 400MHz
128MB

mollyman

Re:Avast slowing down Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 02:06:48 PM »

Hi,
l have Thunderbird version 0.8 and it doesn't seem to slow my incoming emails.

4u1e

Re:Avast slowing down Thunderbird
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »
Going by the Tbird forums it's probably (probably......) not particularly connected to the version - seems to go back at least to 0.4, 0.5.

What sort of settings have you got on the Standard Shield - which files are and aren't being scanned?

I've got a reasonable improvement by going back to scanning only the default set of modified files - anyone got any views on whether this is leaving me vulnerable to anything? (Blocking the actuall Thunderbird programme and application data folders from scanning doesn't seem to make any difference).