Author Topic: Avast Outlook plugin hanging  (Read 8002 times)

gprzybyl

Avast Outlook plugin hanging
« on: September 30, 2004, 07:27:21 PM »
I have a user running outlook 2k3 who complains that every once in a while outlook hangs starting up when the avast splash screen is being displayed.  He is the only user that has this problem and he is also the only user that has sync software installed to sync his sprint pcs phone up with his outlook contact list.  I am going to upgrade his client to RC2A before I put much effort into troubleshooting the problem.  However I was wondering if there is any debugging I can enable to find out what is going on at outlook startup time?  Also are there any known issues with avast hanging on the outlook startup with office 2k3?  Thanks - Greg

gprzybyl

Re:Avast Outlook plugin hanging
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 07:30:45 PM »
Also is there a way from the adnm console to monitor if someone has their plug in disabled?  I can see that someone disables this plug in I never find out about it and then they get infected and I look like the dumb sysadmin.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 11:41:59 PM »
However I was wondering if there is any debugging I can enable to find out what is going on at outlook startup time?

Is he connected directly to the LAN, that is, doesn't he by any chance connect e.g. via VPN?

Also is there a way from the adnm console to monitor if someone has their plug in disabled?  I can see that someone disables this plug in I never find out about it and then they get infected and I look like the dumb sysadmin.

Actually we'd love to have this feature (an ability to find out if the avast Outlook plugin is disabled and possibly also the ability to re-enable it) but it turns out that Outlook stores this information in a binary file with completely undocumented structure and it's really hard to detect this state properly.

Let's see what we can do ...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gprzybyl

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 07:52:01 PM »

Yes he is connected to the lan at the time.