Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: New Official Avast Program Update 6.0.1091 **  (Read 138610 times)

doktornotor

Re: ** INTRODUCING: New Official Avast Program Update 6.0.1091 **
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
Minor mistake:
WebRep is translated to "Webhelyminősítő". It is correct. BUT the problem is that there isn't enough space for that:

This just should NOT be translated at all...

Jack 1000

« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
Just updated to 6.0.1091 through the GUI with no problems at all on Windows XP!

This update even seems a bit faster and snappier.

Jack

12-es_csaj

« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
Minor mistake:
WebRep is translated to "Webhelyminősítő". It is correct. BUT the problem is that there isn't enough space for that:

This just should NOT be translated at all...

I meant... the word "Webhelyminősítő" ifselt is correct. I agree that it shouldn't be translated.

g0dsends

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
love the new avast pro it rocks no leaks now

kd5

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »
Well to start with, it shouldn't download and install automatically unless you have changed the settings, Program updates are set to ASK when an update is available.

Now we get to the nitty gritty bit, there is an update cycle to spread the load on the hundreds of update servers; all the millions of active users couldn't all update at the same time. It could take a few days to cover all of those, which is where regular forum members are at an advantage. They find out about the update early and can do a manual update rather than wait for their turn in the cycle.

I always set Avast! to automatically download application updates because from past experience people will just choose to do it later then it never gets done.  This way it just downloads and installs, and if it tells people they need to restart their computers then eventually they will.  I set mine and my wife's to automatically download & install application updates as well, that way it just gets done.

As far as your answer to my question goes, thank you for that information, I very much appreciate it!       -kd5-
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:14:16 AM by kd5 »

loudermp

« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »
I have 1091 and was getting the xtrap error when starting a game in the sandbox and another game that uses gameguard was not alowing me to click in the login window, but the issue was fixed by scanning the game folders after reading another post.

Thanx

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:36 AM »
<snip>
As far as your answer to my question goes, thank you for that information, I very much appreciate it!       -kd5-

No problem, glad I could help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2011, 12:51:38 AM »
The reason why I have Program Updates set to ask rather than automatic is that I'm a gamer and very often am in full screen games where something downloading and attempting to install itself could cause a very annoying problem at a crucial time when 9 (or even 24 sometimes) other people are expecting me to do my part and get something done. I'm not fully sure that the gaming mode of Avast! stops anything but notification popups. I'm not sure it delays downloading of the AV updates for example (I think it should) but they are very small compared to a full Program update.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:14:32 AM by Dch48 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2011, 01:32:20 AM »
i got in mind that asqhquick.exe is now just return result window if anything found,

i assume that's intended but is there any way how force it show progress if it does lot of scanning ?
e.g. when downloaded some huge archive via download manager, then auto-scanning it with ashquick - to be aware if it still being processed

what i ask for is e.g. /v or -v like verbose to show progress bar with details on the scan
it could be even indication on the avast icon, another icon or just the

I'm afraid the ashquick.exe tool doesn't contain any UI stuff - so it can't really display the progress.
Putting an additional icon into the tray... well, that would be doable, but when I imagine the time & effort our graphics guy devotes to creating every icon, I somehow doubt that would happen  :)  (besides, I'm sure some wouldn't have an additional icon there, so it would mean implementing some options to enable/disable that... etc.)

Besides, up till now, there was actually no progress computed/shown for single file scans - it was 0% before the file has been scanned, 100% afterwards, nothing in between. The progress was always shown only if multiple files were being scanned.
A few days ago, I added the computation of the progress for single-file scans of most archive types (but, it's based on the assumption that the archive contains a number of files on the first nesting level; if it doesn't - e.g. there's only one big file in the archive, or it's not an archive at all - there's no progress again).

Jack 1000

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2011, 05:25:03 AM »
Well to start with, it shouldn't download and install automatically unless you have changed the settings, Program updates are set to ASK when an update is available.

Now we get to the nitty gritty bit, there is an update cycle to spread the load on the hundreds of update servers; all the millions of active users couldn't all update at the same time. It could take a few days to cover all of those, which is where regular forum members are at an advantage. They find out about the update early and can do a manual update rather than wait for their turn in the cycle.

Yea, you can either update through the GUI by checking with the forum when a new version comes out, open the GUI, and than click "Update Program" or you can wait and get pop-up update notices that tell you when an update is available.

So are update notices now in the query for those people who are still running 4.8?  5.0-5.1? or the first version of 6.0?

Turn-around time to get the whole world on the pop-up update notifications can take up to 6 months.  Now my understanding is that when the update servers are ready in your part of the world, and you have updates set to "Ask" for new program versions, you will get the pop-up prompt within 24 hours after it is ready, and at 12 hour random intervals until you download it.

But I am not sure of the exact cycles.  I like how the update notices for the program are set to "Ask" so you are not forced to take them, and can come to the forum to see if other people have issues or bugs and than decide if problems are none to minimal to download the new version.

Jack

Dch48

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2011, 05:26:13 AM »
The update notice did come up on the Vista machine here that was still running 6.0.1000.

SafeSurf

« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2011, 10:32:25 AM »
Updated via the GUI from 1044 to 1091 on my XP-H machine.  Update went smoothly until the reboot when machine froze and had to force close and restart.  Noticed upon restart that Avast v.1091 was working properly but had eliminated one of my exclusions (Prevx) under Settings only.  As a result, Prevx was now disabled and my firewall was taking it's sweet time booting up.  I quickly added in the exclusion into Avast and checked all other settings.  Rebooted again and now all is fine except that .1091 does take a little bit longer to boot up than previous versions but I'm not complaining for the extra protection.

I still have to upgrade on other machines with different OS's and set ups, so will let you know how they go.  Thanks.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2011, 10:43:24 AM »
I noted that script shield now works on Google Chrome, because I have about 20000 files scanned now.
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
I noted that script shield now works on Google Chrome, because I have about 20000 files scanned now.

Really..?
Still not working on FF. :(
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »

Really..?
Still not working on FF. :(

Chrome uses Windows internet settings - that will be the reason.
FF has it's own.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear