Author Topic: Missed updates - not finding virus  (Read 2983 times)

kc7brown

Missed updates - not finding virus
« on: October 07, 2004, 05:32:28 PM »
Okay, I missed some of the updates.  I am sure I have a virus on the computer because I had to extract: wininit.exe, ifshlp.sys for the darn thing to boot into WinMe.  THEN I had to extract regedit.exe, notepad.exe, volume control, sol.exe, mshearts.exe,  and many more system exe's
How in the name of God do I find the virus and get it off.  Avast says I have a clean system!!!:-[

techie101

Re:Missed updates - not finding virus
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 05:39:44 PM »
kc,

Ouch!  Take it easy on Avast.  ;)
First, make sure you have ALL the updates for Avast.
Do a manual update of the PROGRAM which will also update the virus database.

Run a full scan of your system using Avast set to "Thorough" and "Archives".  Disable the System Restore function in ME so if a virus is found there, you can do someone with it which means that the infected file will be deleted along with the restore points.

Now, if no virus is detected by the Avast scan, run a spyware scan using either Adaware by Lavasoft or Spybot S and D.
You can find them at www.snapfiles.com under freeware.

You do have something destructive going on.

You also have the option to "restore" to a previous point using the System Restore.  This would eliminate any "non-virus" causes in case it is a system corruption of some sort.  I would use the System Restore first before trying anything else before a "good" point is removed by time.

Good luck.

PS:  Post has been modified for clarity.
Thanks Bob!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:12:16 AM by Techie101 »

kc7brown

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 08:50:14 PM »
Techie101 - hey, I love Avast!!! Been using it since February.  I try to manually download every time I get an update notification, but I did miss a few due to hurricanes here in Florida.  Maybe I have the Charley, Frances, or Jeanne virus? Ha Ha.
Would it help if I uninstall and redownload the program again to obtain any missed updates?
Also, there used to be a skin that had an XP look, is that still available from anyone?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 08:57:45 PM »
Don't worry, Avast checks what vps you have and automaticly download/install everything you have missed.

Skins can be found HERE

techie101

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 02:10:38 AM »
kc,

If you have Avast set to auto download both program and vps updates, you will be fine. That is one of the nicest features of Avast......it takes care of itself!

Check the link Eddy gave you.  New skins are popping up all the time thanks to very gifted users.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:13:31 AM by Techie101 »