Author Topic: avast and ubuntu 11.04  (Read 13165 times)

dranreb

avast and ubuntu 11.04
« on: May 04, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Getting this error when trying to install, advise please.The package doesn't provide a valid Installed-Size control field. See Debian Policy 5.6.20.The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: avast and ubuntu 11.04
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
I'd try re-downloading the file.  I know that it worked in 10.04 for a while for me, but then it stopped working one day (I probably broke it somehow).

I know that the linux version is quite out of date and they're hoping to have a new version soon, but there's no concrete date set as of yet.

Try re-downloading and see if it works, if not, you might have to pick something else for the time being.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

dranreb

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
Tried downloading again, same result!  Must be the new Unity interface causing problems.Will do as you suggest and use Clamav until avast updates, many thanks.

linux731

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:58:16 AM »
Getting this error when trying to install, advise please.The package doesn't provide a valid Installed-Size control field. See Debian Policy 5.6.20.The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details.

There really isn't a HUGE need for a AV in Linux, especially Ubuntu which is more secure.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:16:39 AM »
There really isn't a HUGE need for a AV in Linux, especially Ubuntu which is more secure.

No, not so much for the Linux machine, but it's possible it can be infected with Windows vulnerabilities and infect Windows machines that may connect to it.  As long as there is an A/V on the Windows machine it's better, but still.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »
Well, AV perhaps doesn't urgent matter on Natty Narwhal, I would be agree. But I just do not wish to burn CD or to copy data that contain windows virus accidentally without realizing it.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11