Author Topic: Avast unsecured, wont repair, wont uninstall or reinstall, missing services.  (Read 11727 times)

FlanMaster

Mail Shield, IM Shield, P2P Shield, File System SHield, Web Shield, Script Shield, Behavior shield, Network shield cannot be started.

Initially installed, ran fine for 2 days.  Started removing bloat ware from pc (new pc) including the preinstalled virus software.  next day avast isn't working, wont repair in reinstall, won't uninstall, had to boot into safe mode and manually remove all registry entries then manually delete folder. would not even uninstall in safe mode.

reinstalled, worked for 2 boots, registered, and all.  went back to "unsecured" and "unregistered".  won't register "component not found". won't uninstall. install software provided by avast won't work.  getting ready to do full system restore and try again but hoping to avoid the many hours this will take.

System: Asus N53SV-xe1
intel i7, 4gb ram, windows 7 os.

Please help.

TY.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:10:22 PM by FlanMaster »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The new beta seems to correct corrupted/problematic installations.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=77580.msg642267#msg642267
The best things in life are free.

MAG

Started removing bloat ware from pc (new pc) including the preinstalled virus software.

What was preinstalled virus software, and did you use the vendor's uninstaller to make sure it was fully removed?

Nesivos

I am not sure what you meant by doing a full restore so you might try this

Using Last Known Good Configuration

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Of you could put the original Windows 7 CD in your hard drive and then boot with the F8 key.   When the options come up select Repair.

MAG

I am not sure what you meant by doing a full restore so you might try this

Using Last Known Good Configuration

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Of you could put the original Windows 7 CD in your hard drive and then boot with the F8 key.   When the options come up select Repair.

(If you're lucky enough to have been given a w7 cd with your machine! I suspect possibly not, given the refernence to pre-installed software)

@Flanmaster - you may want to go into profile, account related settings and check to hide your e-mail to avoid spam.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
There is no real repair option in Win7.
You do have to do an "upgrade installation" - and pray for that it works. I wouldn't dare to. Know only one guy who tried - and he ended up installing from scratch after trying...

The good old XP-Repair-Installation is no more...
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Progress ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ArtemisF0wl

Initially installed, ran fine for 2 days.  Started removing bloat ware from pc (new pc) including the preinstalled virus software.  

it sounds like you installed avast even though you already had a preinstalled antivirus.. thats probably the root of your problem..

i'd look in Device manager and check the option "show hidden devices" and make sure there are no leftover drivers from either avast or whatever came preinstalled

FlanMaster

Thank you all for the responses.  I wil read the thread on the new beta release.  Thanks for the note on hiding the email.  I will do that.

Trend micro was the preinstalled software.  Yes I used the software option for uninstallation.

Yes I installed avast first quite simply because of issues past with norton instantly "getting suddenly infected" when removing it before having anything else in place (even though theyd' never been on the internet and it was the first time booting them up after taking them out of the box). 

I found that by installing avast first, THEN removing norton, the pcs would not suddenly get a virus.

NO win 7 cd, just the restoration disks I had to burn when I first booted the unit..  I don't trust system restore points so I turn them off right off the bat when I get a new pc.

I'm not sure how software drivers would end up getting listed in the device mgr.  If you could explain that one to me I'd be grateful.  I did check the device mgr, telling it to show hidden devices and checked all the sub categories.  I didn't see anything to do with avast or Trend micro in the entire list.

Thanks again.  I'll be reading the beta thread :D

SafeSurf

Before you install the beta version of Avast, you need to make sure that you no longer have any remnants of prior antivirus (AV) on your machine since having more than one AV on your machine will create problems and conflicts.

It sounds like you had TrendMicro and possibly Symantec from your post.  Please run their uninstallers again, then reboot in between each uninstaller.
- TrendMicro Uninstaller: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/1/How-do-I-remove-old-or-new-versions-of-Trend-Micro-products-in-my-comp.aspx

- Symantec Uninstaller: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN
Since Symantec is known to leave remnants behind, you can also go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly upon boot up), once in Safe Mode go to Advance Search > enter "sym" into the search box and see if anything comes up.  Do the same but type in symlcbrd.sys , which is a Symantec Core Service BIOS reader.  Do it again but type in Symantec, and again but type in NIS or NAV (depending on what you had installed on the machine).  If you are uncertain of the files that come up on the search, right click on the file to show you Properties and you can tell if it belongs to Symantec...if it does you can delete it then empty your recycle bin and restart your machine.

1. Save a copy of Avast 6.0.1119 for the product you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1119/setup_av_free.exe
Pro:    http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1119/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS:    http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1119/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast one at a time and reboot until you have completed each one.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Question:
- What do you currently have for other security software including firewall (other than Windows 7 firewall) other than what you mentioned, previous security software, trial software...and how did you uninstall them? 

Let us know how this works for you.  Thank you.

ArtemisF0wl

I'm not sure how software drivers would end up getting listed in the device mgr.  If you could explain that one to me I'd be grateful.  I did check the device mgr, telling it to show hidden devices and checked all the sub categories.  I didn't see anything to do with avast or Trend micro in the entire list.

when you check the option in device manager to show hidden devices, you get a new list called "non plug and play drivers", expand that list...  avast drivers typically start with "asw", im not sure about trend micro as ive never used it. leftovers usually are either greyed out or have a yellow triangle with a "!" inside it. right click on any of those and choose "uninstall"

Craig Siler

I am having the same problem.  I tried your link (twice) but got an update error message.  Can't upgrade error at spawning.  Please help Craig
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:55:19 PM by Craig Siler »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Please, upload (attach) the avast log:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\Setup.log
or C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.

FlanMaster

so far so good. 

My solution was, unfortunately, complete system restore.  On a different unit download and burn to disk all the security apps I needed.  With PC NOT connected to internet (wireless turned off) uninstalled all bloatware, and trend-micro security suite.  Installed avast  then other software that I wanted.  rebooted, turning on wireless switch.  It has been 2 days and so far ok.  Hopefully it won't crap out on me Like it did before (after several days).

If it continues to work, I'll check back in a few days and change the thread to solved. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
If it continues to work, I'll check back in a few days and change the thread to solved. 
Thanks.
Welcome to forums.