Author Topic: My Avast Forgets Sensitivity Settings  (Read 4726 times)

Starfighter

My Avast Forgets Sensitivity Settings
« on: October 16, 2004, 12:05:20 AM »
I'm using Avast! home edition (registered).  I want to increase the standard shield and mail sensitivity from normal to high.   So I move the slider from left to right (to high), and it holds.  I press okay.  So it's at "high"... great.  But each and everytime I restart my computer, it then defaults back to normal again.  So it's not remembering my settings.  Same problem when I select e-mail silent mode & no... it forgets it after I reboot.   What am I doing wrong?

Background: computer runs Win 98 first edition (with all critical updates etc installed).   Has Spybot 1.3 (latest definitions) installed with immunization & browser blocking on.  Also has installed Proxomitron (ad filtering software),  Zone Alarm (old version 2.6.362--I prefer it, less bloated than newer versions).  Also has CCleaner installed (crap cleaner)...

Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:My Avast Forgets Sensitivity Settings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 12:51:37 AM »
I remember seeing something like this in the forums previously. It was also win98 related, having something to do with win98 shutting down and not saving settings.

The solution if I remember correctly was to set the sensitivity to what you need clicking ok , etc. and closing the window. Then right click on the avast icon and select Stop On-access Protection and Exit. Once you have done this reboot your PC.

Try that and see how you get on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Starfighter

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 01:25:53 AM »
Thanks for your help--it worked!  But what I found worked was to use "Stop Provider" (rather than "Stop on access and exit").   It now remembers my settings after reboot.   Sort of a bug though... hope Alwil can fix it in the next release of Avast!   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 04:51:47 AM »
Thanks for your help--it worked!  But what I found worked was to use "Stop Provider" (rather than "Stop on access and exit").   It now remembers my settings after reboot.   Sort of a bug though... hope Alwil can fix it in the next release of Avast!   :)

It's not a bug... just Windows 98 shutdow 'before' the settings could even be saved...
Microsoft has quite a lot of speed to shutdown  ;D
If I'm not wrong, this answer is in the 'FAQ' on my signature  8)
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 05:35:13 AM »
Thanks Technical, it was in your FAQ.  I forgot to read it first.  ???

As for being a bug or not, well, why not have on the Avast residence protection settings page a "save" button so it saves right away on the computer's hard-drive just like when I press the save button on my word processor... then one doesn't have to worry about a fast shutdown losing the settings.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 05:43:59 AM »
As for being a bug or not, well, why not have on the Avast residence protection settings page a "save" button so it saves right away on the computer's hard-drive just like when I press the save button on my word processor... then one doesn't have to worry about a fast shutdown losing the settings.

Thinking better, you're right... Seems a bug  :-\
The best things in life are free.