Author Topic: Do we need it? Celframe Free Antivirus can work side by side with our antivirus.  (Read 10203 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Well the founders name says its a Indian company or may be by an Indian. :D
But can't say anything without testing
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Well, it's off my computer ::). Here's a screenshot of it.

1. It installs using a web installer.
2. Shows ads in a separate window, and sometimes right next to the program window(Not shown in screenshot.)
3. I don't know how it secures the facebook and twitter. Since https is already being used by twitter and FB, I don't see how it can improve(I did not test it.)
4. I have not tested with any malware samples.
5. Give it a try in your virtual box.

I have uninstalled it and will no longer use it; kthxbye.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:46:35 AM by nmb »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

AdrianH

Looks to me like someone ripped off Immunet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Other forum where it has been discussed.
Overall opinion is not that good.
https://forums.comodo.com/other-security-products/celframe-free-antivirus-t73077.0.html

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
i don't know what to say about it. it sound a little to good to be true when i was checking there homepage. it will prectect you when your on facebook? how?  whats diffrent from other company?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

DarkMasters

Just by checking their homepage made me lost my interest about them already. Let alone to actually downloading and trying their product.

Chris MRG-Effitas

We ran a quick test on this app. See here:

http://forums.malwareresearchgroup.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=581

Best regards,

Chris

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
We ran a quick test on this app.

Thanks for this interesting info, Chris..! :)

We performed a context menu / static scan of 10,000 early life samples and found it detected 36.21%.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DarkMasters

Quote from Chris MRG-Effitas in MRG Forums :

From the vendors description, it appears similar to Immunet Protect and purports to have two AM engines, one of which is cloud based. The product also says it provides a secure login function for social networking sites including facebook.

We installed the app on a Windows 7 VM and noticed it has very similar aesthetics to Immunet Protect. We performed a context menu / static scan of 10,000 early life samples and found it detected 36.21%.

To test the secure facebook login function, we used one of our FM simulators. The simulator accurately emulates how real identity stealing malware like Zeus works by employing a MitB attack. We were able to capture the login data entered in to facebook when using the secure login feature of Celframe.

We repeated the facebook test several times including using some of the simulators we have used when working with the BBC on an upcoming TV programme and found the secure login function provided no protection against any of them.

It's either the application is a real failure or it's actually didn't work because you install and running it inside a virtual machine and test it against simulated attack.

I think the absolute way to test such application is by installing it in a sacrificial computer and run it against a real attack not the simulated one, then you'll see whether the application perform what it's claim to perform or not.

Chris MRG-Effitas

Hi DarkMasters,

Generally, testing with VMs maps very accurately to behaviour on real systems. We work with many vendors and all their applications function properly in virtual environments – with the huge increase in the use of VDI, it is imperative that they do.

The simulators used all make use of valid MitB attacks – the same as Zeus, so accurately assess efficacy against real financial and identity theft malware.

Best regards,

Chris

DarkMasters

Generally, testing with VMs maps very accurately to behaviour on real systems. We work with many vendors and all their applications function properly in virtual environments – with the huge increase in the use of VDI, it is imperative that they do.

The simulators used all make use of valid MitB attacks – the same as Zeus, so accurately assess efficacy against real financial and identity theft malware.

Then, my hunch is right...  ;D

Just by checking their homepage made me lost my interest about them already. Let alone to actually downloading and trying their product.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thanks for testing Chris :)