Author Topic: [ Resolved] Off topic It's all your fault!  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
[ Resolved] Off topic It's all your fault!
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:09:15 AM »
To the following...DavidR, Polonus, Essexboy, SafeSurf, Schmidthouse, Tech, Pondus, et al.
With most, if not all suggesting that I upgrade to AIS, SAS Pro, I did both. My next project is to upgrade to MBAM Pro. With each and every upgrade I am gaining one more layer of protection. My thanks go out to each and everyone of you. I am truly sorry if I left anyone name off the above list. I have come a long way since I joined the forum. Thank you!  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:35:56 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Off topic It's all your fault!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:38:53 AM »
To the following...DavidR, Polonus, Essexboy, SafeSurf, Schmidthouse, Tech, Pondus, et al.
With most, if not all suggesting that I upgrade to AIS, SAS Pro, I did both. My next project is to upgrade to MBAM Pro. With each and every upgrade I am gaining one more layer of protection. My thanks go out to each and everyone of you. I am truly sorry if I left anyone name off the above list. I have come a long way since I joined the forum. Thank you!  :)

I have 5 Pro licenses. Well worth the money.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
You are very welcome.  :)  We all learn the longer we are here if not from each other then from the informative posts from many others here on the forum.  I've always been a believer in layers of protection.  Thank you again.

Offline ky331

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
Para,
are you sure they encouraged you to use BOTH SAS PRO and MBAM PRO?  I could see supplementing avast with EITHER SAS PRO or MBAM PRO (your decision which ONE of these two), but keeping the other only in its free (on-demand scanner) form.
My understanding is that there's a lot of duplication... and potential conflict... in resident protection in using the PRO versions of both SAS and MBAM ---- it's NOT simply a matter of "more is better".   In the case of duplicative programs, "more" will at the very least result in slowdowns, and at the very worst, in conflicts/crashes.

EDIT:  I see that jadinolf is using both, so I guess I may have to defer to his first-hand experience...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:48:30 PM by ky331 »
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:07:11 PM »
Para,
are you sure they encouraged you to use BOTH SAS PRO and MBAM PRO?  I could see supplementing avast with EITHER SAS PRO or MBAM PRO (your decision which ONE of these two), but keeping the other only in its free (on-demand scanner) form.
My understanding is that there's a lot of duplication... and potential conflict... in resident protection in using the PRO versions of both SAS and MBAM ---- it's NOT simply a matter of "more is better".   In the case of duplicative programs, "more" will at the very least result in slowdowns, and at the very worst, in conflicts/crashes.

EDIT:  I see that jadinolf is using both, so I guess I may have to defer to his first-hand experience...
You will find the more you are on this forum the more you learn. Neither MBAM nor SAS will conflict in any way, shape or form with avast. I would caution you to stay away from Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D. And from what I have read Zone Alarm may cause a conflict with avast. It isn't a duplication of service it's the right "kind" of layers that counts.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »
It isn't an issue of conflicting with avast, but two resident anti-spy/malware applications installed. The same general rule would apply for those as we apply to resident anti-virus applications, only on installed.

I have avast! plus SAS Pro and MBAM free (because I had SAS Pro before MBAM came out) on this system. On my other system I have avast and MBAM Pro, no SAS, never got round to installing it and if I do it will only be the SAS free version, to avoid possible conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
It isn't an issue of conflicting with avast, but two resident anti-spy/malware applications installed. The same general rule would apply for those as we apply to resident anti-virus applications, only on installed.

I have avast! plus SAS Pro and MBAM free (because I had SAS Pro before MBAM came out) on this system. On my other system I have avast and MBAM Pro, no SAS, never got round to installing it and if I do it will only be the SAS free version, to avoid possible conflict.
DavidR, I found that having SAS Pro caused a conflict went back to SAS Free but upgraded to MBAM Pro.
SAS Pro left behind traces that forced me to do a major registry clean-up, not to mention a registry defrag. All's well now.  :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: [ Resolved] Off topic It's all your fault!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 11:36:36 PM »
This thread is done.