Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! :: Restoring files moved by avast to original locations?  (Read 7212 times)

Slugman

Is it possible to restore files moved to a separate folder during a scan by avast?  

I have a virus that's infected over 1000 exe files and avast moved them all to another folder...

PLEASE HELP!!  I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO REFORMAT!! ::)

Thanks...       ^SlugMaN^

Waldo

Re:PLEASE HELP! :: Restoring files moved by avast to original locations?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 12:02:11 AM »
well, you seem to have a serious problem my man...Good thing to see AVAST detected so many virruses...But how did you get infected in the first place when running AVAST ?

I'm sure posting your LOG file will help us more, and maybe whe then find a solution...

The place AVAST probably moved the files to, is called "virus chest" (standard settings), if the files are there, your save for the moment...

I hope some verry expereinced forum member can help you out...

Good luck, Waldo

Slugman

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 12:10:15 AM »
the files have not been moved to the virus chest, they are in this location:   C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\moved

do you think it's possible to move them to the chest, and then restore them?

the only thing in the chest is a few dll's i dunno how they got in there.

how do i post my log?? and what log is it?  there are 5 different ones the the log folder!

OMG I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO REFORMAT MY HD!!

^SlugMaN^

Waldo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 12:17:58 AM »
Don't reformat your hardisk yet bro....AVAST support is sleeping at this moment...Just wait till tomorrow when you get some verry good advice & support.

Well, to post your log > copy and paste the important info...like wich files are infected...wich virus etc...

The few Dll's in the chest are "standard system Dll's" just keep them in there...there important for your system.

Waldo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 04:26:28 AM »
I confirm the Waldo´s suggestion. Wait, post your logs files (generally, C:\<avast directory>\Data\Log\Warning.log).
Hey avast team, Virus Chest does not return the files to their original location? Why don´t the VRDB system starts automatically like said at http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=23
 ???
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 02:08:42 PM by technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 09:20:58 AM »
Virus chest does return the files to their original locations, but Slugman chose to move not to the chest but to a folder. In this case original locations are lost. You have to move files manually.
VRDB system would start if you chose "Repair". But I'm afraid it will not work now when files are not in their original locations.

Edit:
You can find the original locations in system log with avast LogViewer or in file Avast4\Data\log\Warning.log.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 09:31:14 AM by vojtech »

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 10:23:57 AM »

I have a virus that's infected over 1000 exe files
PLEASE HELP!!  I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO REFORMAT!! ::)
I know you do not want to hear it, but if these files are infected with  a virus it is better to make a backup of the Data you need and  setup your system again on a fresh formated Harddisk. An AV-Programm is not able to repair the infected files to its orginal state.  And who knows what the Malware also corrupted.
MfG Ralf