Author Topic: Is AIS firewall enough?  (Read 5086 times)

scrub

Is AIS firewall enough?
« on: June 09, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »
what is the best firewall?

is AIS enough?

any recommendation for best personal firewall?

what are the pros and cons of your recommended firewall?

please help...

jack_90125

Re: Is AIS firewall enough?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »
I have ais and after playing with it ,it does not offer enough control. and other things to my liking.went back to comodo for the firewall. good it works as a firewall pain your tolerance for popups.

scrub

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
I have ais and after playing with it ,it does not offer enough control. and other things to my liking.went back to comodo for the firewall. good it works as a firewall pain your tolerance for popups.

i know. i've tried comodo FW with D+ and too many pop-ups. I tried OA free FW but too slow for pc boot and makes my screen black upon booting.  >:(

sded

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
What is your OS?  Private Firewall and Outpost Free are also very popular here.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »

What benefits would Private Firewall and Outpost Free have over AIS Firewall? I have always just used the AIS Firewall and been happy with it.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

sded

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
The firewalls mentioned are for those users who want a HIPS along with their firewall.  AIS uses the behavior shield and sandbox (and other avast! features) to implement a mostly silent firewall without all of the popup questions and answers associated with a HIPS.

DBone

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
I really like the AIS firewall set to the auto-decide setting. If you need or want more control, just set the firewall to ask, and it will bug the crap out of you like those firewalls mentioned above.

scrub

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »

My OS is W7 ultimate.

I reinstalled my comodo firewall but I can't see any firewall and defense event logs. No pop-ups too. Any comodo FW users here?

MAG

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
I used comodo FW/D+ until very recently (when I got AIS).

There are very few D+ pop-ups with the latest version on comodo's default settings and a system that only runs 'standard' stuff. Same for FW events.

If you want to check that it's working you can trigger a D+ event by doing an mbam scan, or a pop-up with the avast autosandbox test tool (select don't run in sandbox).

scrub

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »
I used comodo FW/D+ until very recently (when I got AIS).

There are very few D+ pop-ups with the latest version on comodo's default settings and a system that only runs 'standard' stuff. Same for FW events.

If you want to check that it's working you can trigger a D+ event by doing an mbam scan, or a pop-up with the avast autosandbox test tool (select don't run in sandbox).

how come you're not using cfw anymore?

MAG

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »
Not because of any major problems with comodo. There was one compatibility problem with avast BS at one time that casued a BSOD and windows repair - but that was quickly resolved by PK. There are also some compatibility issues between comodo and winpatrol

It's mainly just because I've got AIS (and so there shouldn't be any compatibility problems between its components) - but if I still had avast free I'd still have comodo FW.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:58:20 PM by mag »

scrub

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
OMG. what's bad with using winpatrol and comodo at the same time? I am using the two.  :o :o :o

MAG

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 07:16:27 PM »
Nothing major.

The two problems I came across were:

(i) winpatrol generated a D+ log event every minute or so - doesn't sound as if you see this, but if you do there is a workaround deep in comodo settings

(ii) winpatrol crashed occasionally on attempting to open winpatrol explorer from taskbar icon.

scrub

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »
I haven't experienced those yet. I'll keep the two softwares for the mean time and do make some observations.  ;D

thanks for the tips.  :D

Nesivos

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
The firewalls mentioned are for those users who want a HIPS along with their firewall.  AIS uses the behavior shield and sandbox (and other avast! features) to implement a mostly silent firewall without all of the popup questions and answers associated with a HIPS.

Spyware Terminator claims to have HIPS protection.  I don't know how good it is.

As I recall I have tried it couple of times the last being a year ago or so.   I didn't particularly like it because it tended to slow my system down.  That may have been on my previous computer which was old and slow or they may have improved it since I last tried it.

I don't know how it would get along with avast! at this point in time.  Maybe someone else here is familiar with Spyware Terminator and knows how well it may or may not get along with avast!