Author Topic: Virus Recover Database (VRDB)  (Read 7784 times)

RAM515

Virus Recover Database (VRDB)
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:52:04 PM »
I installed avast home edition but the VRDB is not coming up in the right hand tray. I am using XP. Can anyone help?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Virus Recover Database (VRDB)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:46:12 PM »
I installed avast home edition but the VRDB is not coming up in the right hand tray. I am using XP. Can anyone help?

Did you 'merge' the two icons: a + i ?
Can you see a VRDB menu item if you right click the a blue icon on your system tray?
Is the 'i' icon hidden?
The best things in life are free.

inthewildteam

Re:Virus Recover Database (VRDB)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 02:14:29 AM »
RAM515,

as Technical has said, right click the avast! icon and under VRDB you should have a menu box pop-up.

JonM

Re: Virus Recover Database (VRDB)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:20:44 AM »
I had a friend install the latest Avast! Home release today (Jan 8, 05) on a Windows 2000 box.  There was no VRDB icon on that system either.  And no VRDB menu item when right clicking on the "a" icon. 

Should we uninstall/reinstall?

ps - this friend's PC crashed hard while trying to upgrade from Norton 2003 to Norton 2005.  Needless to say, *all* Norton programs got uninstalled before Avast! was downloaded and installed :-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 03:56:26 PM »
I had a friend install the latest Avast! Home release today (Jan 8, 05) on a Windows 2000 box.  There was no VRDB icon on that system either.  And no VRDB menu item when right clicking on the "a" icon. 

Should we uninstall/reinstall?

ps - this friend's PC crashed hard while trying to upgrade from Norton 2003 to Norton 2005.  Needless to say, *all* Norton programs got uninstalled before Avast! was downloaded and installed :-)

First I would suggest that you try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

If that doesn't work then uninstall, boot, install.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JonM

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 08:17:30 PM »
David -

Thanks.  It turns out a simple cold reboot solved the problem.  I was concerned that leftovers from Norton were affecting things, but all that code was uninstalled via the "add/remove programs" menu, which Symantec claims is the most thorough way to do it.  Regardless, all's well.  Thanks for the prompt response, though.  Much appreciated.

Jon

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 08:21:41 PM »
uninstalled via the "add/remove programs" menu, which Symantec claims is the most thorough way to do it
Nope, Symantec explains the need to use the uninstall util theirselfs. It will remove more than just the add/remove does. I suggest you still use the uninstall util.

JonM

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 11:58:51 AM »
Eddy -

Check http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

About half way down it explicitly says:

"References:
Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus through Windows Add/Remove Programs
This is the preferred method of uninstalling Norton AntiVirus as it does a more thorough job of removal. "

They recommend the Rnav2003.exe removal utility for times when the add/remove doesn't work.  In my case, add/remove worked.

JonM

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 01:51:59 PM »
That may well be true but they are hardly going to say, "if you experience problems after uninstallation with other software" or "to get rid of the registry entries left behind by the uninstall" use the removal tool.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 01:54:32 PM »
They recommend the Rnav2003.exe removal utility for times when the add/remove doesn't work.
Using add/remove and than try to install another av mostly causes problems. And you still believe add/remove works?

Don't make me laugh ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 02:09:29 PM »
They recommend the Rnav2003.exe removal utility for times when the add/remove doesn't work.  In my case, add/remove worked.

Jon, Norton left behing tons of files and Registry keys...
You must, at least, run RNAV2003.exe utility after Add/Remove and even this, some other keys will be left behind...
But I don't think the VRDB icon and generation shoud be affected by the presence of NAV...
Did you try to repair your avast installation or, even, uninstall and install it again?
The best things in life are free.

bobw

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »
Using add/remove and than try to install another av mostly causes problems. And you still believe add/remove works?
I'd just like to say that Add/Remove worked great for NAV 2004 on my PC. It removed almost all of the files, folders, and registry keys. The few things left behind are just settings, and I highly doubt that they would interfere with any other program.

Spyros

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 03:15:48 PM »
I'd just like to say that Add/Remove worked great for NAV 2004 on my PC. It removed almost all of the files, folders, and registry keys. The few things left behind are just settings, and I highly doubt that they would interfere with any other program.
Rnav2003.exe is for NAV 2003 and backwards. NAV 2004 is a completely different story, although I think Symantec created a Rnav2004.exe for it too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 03:18:04 PM by Spyros »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 03:19:19 PM »
Thanks for your comments but I highly doubt that after 4 posts, you've solved enough problems caused by left over garbage from NAV
to qualify as an expert opinion. But, you are entitled to your opinions. ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet