Author Topic: avast is causing BSODs  (Read 5902 times)

Nikilet

avast is causing BSODs
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
Recently I have been getting BSODs on startup, shutdown, and/or restart. I went to the Vista forum. They asked me to download a tool, BSOD Dump & System File Collection app (EXE file), and run it. Then also asked me to run a health report and attached both to my post, which I did. The result was that they said this last BSOD was due to
Aswsp.sys file description avast! Antivirus System   avast! self protection module             ALWIL Software

Their advice was to use the tool from your site, uninstall Avast and download Microsoft Security Essentials.

I recently purchased the paid version of MBAM. I have done scans several times with both. There doesn't appear to be any conflict. Also, I'm fairly certain that the first time I got this BSOD was before I started running MBAM alongside Avast so I don't think that's the cause.

As of last night's incident, I believe I had received this BSOD 3 times within the past 3-4 weeks. But now this morning when I started my computer there it was again so it would appear it's escalating. Can you offer me any advice? I really do not want to uninstall Avast. It has worked great so why this now?

Nikilet

Re: avast is causing BSODs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
I wanted to attach some files and forgot to. After the BSOD, it automatically went to the page where I select Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. I selected to start normally. After it finished rebooting, the screen turned completely white for a few seconds and then went back to my desktop. I had a Windows info box come up and that is what I am attaching pictures of here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:12:00 AM »
Can you upgrade to the latest 6.0.1203 version?
The best things in life are free.

Nikilet

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:48:18 AM »
I am doing this right now. I thought Avast updated automatically. Is that not the case?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:53:57 AM »
It does, but the update cycle is spread over 7 days as you can't update everyone at the same time and it has only just been released a few hours ago. But I guess you don't want to wait until it is your turn in the barrel.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nikilet

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:03:26 AM »
It isn't a matter of not wanting to wait for "my turn at the barrel." I didn't even know there was an update until Tech told me to update because of the BSOD problem I'm having. I have to restart now after this update and am hoping I don't get a BSOD again.

I had one of these yesterday and sent a report to Vista Forum. I had another one today when I booted. Apparently an Avast driver is causing this. I can't figure out why I'm suddenly having this problem. Unless it is related to obtaining the paid version of MBAM. However, I think this problem started before I got that. I will restart and let you know. Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:12:52 AM »
You wouldn't know as it has only been released.

The Auto Update checks to see if there is an update available, in the case of Program updates you would be notified when your turn in the update cycle came. Though I believe the AIS and Pro versions would have a shorter update cycle. But there is no immediate notification there is an update available.

It wouldn't make sense to notify everyone that there was an update available and not allow them to download it right their and then. Or once notified they would all dive on to do a manual update and that could swamp the update servers..

So you would only know if you were notified in the normal update cycle or were a regular forum visitor (monitoring the beta build testing) or were told by someone who saw the Program update topic in the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nikilet

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »
I'm really not concerned about the update. I am concerned about getting BSODs on a regular basis during shut down, startup and restart. I was told it was an Avast driver causing this.

Please note that I did go with the paid version of MBAM, but I did not do any exclusions in either program.

Vista forum just came back with info that my AV had driver updates in May and they think there may have been a conflict.

I don't want to have to stop using Avast so any help you can give is appreciated.

I have to close down for the night as it is thundering!

Joe S

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:45:35 AM »
I've had the BSOD on startup sporadically from the same cause. One thing I did noticed that seemed to bring it on was to close everything and immediately shutdown. Waiting 15-20 sec helps. I go for 3-4 weeks without one. I've uploaded mini dumps but never saw a reply to the posts I made about it. You can also disable self protection mode and see if that helps.
Joe

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »
For those having Vista and those BSODs, the reason that the update to the latest stable version was suggested, among others, is that it is supposed to solve the problem.

So go ahead and try the latest stable of Avast, and re-enable all the relevant modules/shields so to be protected.

If any problem comes back, please post again with details about Avast version, other security tools installed (now or in the past) and OS.

Nikilet

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
I installed the update that is supposed to fix things. I didn't have the BSOD when I started computer today; however, I still had that situation where, after my desktop comes up and things are loading my screen turns totally white for a few seconds. Yesterday it remained that way for like 10-15 seconds before my desktop came back. Today it was only about 2 seconds but I know it has never done this before and isn't supposed to.

I have done some Googling on this to try and inform myself and I keep running across the tip to disable the self-protection mode. What is that and where is it? Even without knowing the answer to those questions, it would seem to me that an AV with the "self-protection" mode disabled wouldn't be a very good option.

Nikilet

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 07:08:46 AM »
I see no one answered my last post with regard to the self-protection mode. I do wish someone would explain about that.

Anyway, the white screen I refer to in my posts started at the same time the BSODs started. I have not had a BSOD since installing the update, but my desktop is still giving me that white screen. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, or if anyone can figure out why that started along with the BSODs and remains.

avastira

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »
I installed the update that is supposed to fix things. I didn't have the BSOD when I started computer today; however, I still had that situation where, after my desktop comes up and things are loading my screen turns totally white for a few seconds. Yesterday it remained that way for like 10-15 seconds before my desktop came back. Today it was only about 2 seconds but I know it has never done this before and isn't supposed to.

I have done some Googling on this to try and inform myself and I keep running across the tip to disable the self-protection mode. What is that and where is it? Even without knowing the answer to those questions, it would seem to me that an AV with the "self-protection" mode disabled wouldn't be a very good option.

Hello,

I can't help you with your bsod problems, but there's one thing I would like to say. When I'm logged into Windows 7, the screen of my laptop also stays white for about 5 seconds, sometimes for even ~20 seconds. But that's the only problem of Avast! on my computer, everything else is fine. So I don't think this isssue has anything to do with the bluescreens you're getting.

Regards,
Avastira

Nikilet

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:27:44 AM »
I've had Avast for at least 6 months now and none of this started until back about a month ago, and both things started together. Seems a little too coincidental to me. Are there any ideas out there what is causing this?

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
One possibility for the blank screen issue could be that the several BSOD's leaved some problem in the video drivers. I am just throwing this out, not that I really have an explanation.

It is NOT a good idea to disable the self defense, and I doubt it has something to do with the blank screen.

You could try in Avast -> settings -> troubleshooting -> "load avast services only after other system services". Check it, save the settings, and reboot.

If that change doesn't help you, please return it back, and reboot again.

One additional thing you could try is to find the newest video drivers available for your hardware, and update them. This might resolve any problem with the drivers after the BSODs.

Please report back, whichever the (negative/positive) result.