Author Topic: avast! won't update  (Read 6207 times)

ali_tk

avast! won't update
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
hi
i use avast! internet security version 6.0.1125
when i run update it just says initializing, please wait and then nothing(not even an error!)
i think it is blocked by something so i turned off windows firewall but it doesn't help
i checked my proxy setting and it's ok.
please help

turmoyle2000

Re: avast! won't update
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:56 AM »
Same problem here. Vista SP2, dial-up connection, Avast Free. When I try to manually update the virus defs, it just hangs at Downloading File: servers.def.vpx. This problem just started a few hours ago.

The XP SP3 machine using a broadband connection on the other side of the house can still search for updates without hanging. Go figure.

turmoyle2000

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »
Hmmm.....I rebooted my Vista machine and now the manual update sequence is completing just fine. Was probably just a minor glitch.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
hi
i use avast! internet security version 6.0.1125
when i run update it just says initializing, please wait and then nothing(not even an error!)
i think it is blocked by something so i turned off windows firewall but it doesn't help
i checked my proxy setting and it's ok.
please help

Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair. Then do a manual program update from the avastUI to version 6.0.1203.

If that doesn't work I would say a clean install of the latest avast version 6.0.1203 would be your best option. I will give instructions later after your reply if you need them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RodmanB

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
I recently sent this letter to Avast:

Dear Sir,
   Recently I had a problem with my installation of Avast Pro. It would not Update. I called your support, iYogi, and allowed remote administration. After a short time I was told that there was no problem with Avast but they could fix the problem. All I had to do was purchase one of their support plans ranging up to $399.00. Since I had just bought this computer and was having no other problem, except with Avast, I felt I was being duped with a form of bait and switch. So, I insisted they completely remove Avast from my computer so I could purchase and install a competitor's product. Upon reboot my internet connection was broke due to the removal, by iYogi, of the network connection driver for the Avast firewall. Since I was on a SIP phone I also lost Phone connection with iYogi. To get my internet connection and phone back I reinstalled Avast and viola, Avast works perfectly. This just confirmed to me that I was being duped into purchasing iYogi support services. I strongly believe IYogi is using Avast to fraudulently sell support plans! I thought you should know this as I am reporting it to the Fair Trade Commission.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:49:07 AM »
Thanks RodmanB for your report. Sad report I would say.
If you want/need help for avast for free, look at these forums. Welcome.
The best things in life are free.