Author Topic: Computer wont start after update D:  (Read 8673 times)

bobo1

Re: Computer wont start after update D:
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Try taking out everything off the motherboard bare minimum sound cards /network cards etc and just leave cd rom and one bank of ram in the slot that is working and try booting from the cd again. Or enter bios and see that it is reporting ram correctly.
IDE CHANNELS SET ON MY COMPUTER AS FOLLOWS:
HDD PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL MASTER DEVICE. DMA MODE
CD ROM SECONDARY CHANNEL SLAVE DEVICE. DMA MODE
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:45:41 PM by bobo1 »

briand18

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
Try taking out everything off the motherboard bare minimum sound cards /network cards etc and just leave cd rom and one bank of ram in the slot that is working and try booting from the cd again. Or enter bios and see that it is reporting ram correctly

It is reporting ram correctly, I take one out and go to bios and it says the correct amount.

bobo1

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
For dianogstics just use one ram chip that is working and as before last message try the bare minimum on the motherboard and try again booting from your cd rom if it fails try the cd rom on another IDE Channel. Also in the system bios is it showing the hard drive is visible?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:40:00 PM by bobo1 »

briand18

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »
For dianogstics just use one ram chip that is working and as before last message try the bare minimum on the motherboard and try again booting from your cd rom if it fails try the cd rom on another IDE Channel. Also in the system bios is it showing the hard drive is visible?

Ok, I will try that and yes the bios is showing the cd drive.

bobo1

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »
Is it showing HARD DRIVE AS WELL?

briand18

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
Is it showing HARD DRIVE AS WELL?

Yes it is showing the hard drive and I tried that idea, all it said was "memory has changed, press f1 to continue" and still did not boot from disc.

briand18

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 04:30:35 AM »
Any other ideas?

Gargamel360

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:44 AM »
Well, you said when this started your disc drive was broke, so it stands to reason you can not boot from a disc.  You need to get a new drive if it is shot.

briand18

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 05:31:15 AM »
Well, you said when this started your disc drive was broke, so it stands to reason you can not boot from a disc.  You need to get a new drive if it is shot.

It is not broke, I just used it the day before and when the computer starts I can see the cd drive running and spinning and also the bios finds the cd drive.

Gargamel360

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 05:41:08 AM »
The bios finding the drive does not mean the drive can read a disc.

To test it, try to boot a Linux Live CD, if it also fails, something is amiss with the disc drive.

briand18

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 05:44:38 AM »
The bios finding the drive does not mean the drive can read a disc.

To test it, try to boot a Linux Live CD, if it also fails, something is amiss with the disc drive.

Where can I get this CD?

Gargamel360

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 05:51:56 AM »
There are many flavors, this is one of the most popular and Windows-like>>http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Make sure you don't install it, you just want to run it from the disc, instructions 1 through 3 on the linked site should cover all you need to know.

bobo1

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
Cannot understand why it cannot boot from cd device with a windows xp cd if this is set in bios as first boot device must be defective. Are you sure that all the ata ribbon cables are seated correctly and on the right ide channels.
Has your computer got a floppy drive and what make is it and try a old windows boot disk to go to DOS and see if hard drive is accesible
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:30:45 PM by bobo1 »

briand18

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 05:39:10 AM »
Cannot understand why it cannot boot from cd device with a windows xp cd if this is set in bios as first boot device must be defective. Are you sure that all the ata ribbon cables are seated correctly and on the right ide channels.
Has your computer got a floppy drive and what make is it and try a old windows boot disk to go to DOS and see if hard drive is accesible

Yes, all the cables are right and it does have a floppy drive but I do not have an old windows floppy. Anything else I can try?

bobo1

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »
If you have got another working computer? Take out your hard drive Ide or Sata? whichever it is and put it in a hard drive usb caddy and see if it verifys ie is visible in windows on the other computer.
If it does not show as a valid device then it is blown and will cause problems with your original computer? bios. If it shows as a hard disk then scan it on the other computer for a virus and save off your important files
Shame you have not got a windows 98 start up floppy disk great for checking/formatting a hard drive in DOS FAT 32
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:51:22 PM by bobo1 »