Author Topic: Can I disable that annoying WebRep popup?  (Read 7165 times)

lefty_lucy

Can I disable that annoying WebRep popup?
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:19 AM »
I have found how to ENable it here but not how to disable it.  I really hate that it pops up every time I do a search and I would really just like for it to go away.

Thanks.

Gargamel360

Re: Can I disable that annoying WebRep popup?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:55:27 AM »
If you want to be rid of WebRep entirely, start to uninstall Avast! but choose "change", then un-tick the WebRep component.

As far as I know, it is not flexible beyond that, you can't keep only part of it.

lefty_lucy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:58:31 AM »
Ahh, thanks.

I'll try that.

steen

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:52:22 AM »
If you want to be rid of WebRep entirely, start to uninstall Avast! but choose "change", then un-tick the WebRep component.
An unwanted outcome of simply uninstalling the WebRep plugin on one of my XP boxes running 6.0.1125 free was for the updater to be triggered & auto-download/update to the latest 6.0.1203. Never happened before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Not really sure what it is you are asking/saying.

If you mean after an update to 6.0.1203 it installed the webrep again, that could be down to the avastUI, Additional Protection, WebRep 'Automatically detect new browser installations' option if it was left checked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lefty_lucy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
Well, so far so good.

I will watch when it updates next time.

Thanks again all.

steen

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »
Not really sure what it is you are asking/saying.

It's quite simple really. Select "change installed components" option from setup. De-select Web Rep plugin. The expectation is that only the Web Rep plugin will be uninstalled. Instead, avast.setup launches the auto-update process so on a machine running 6.0.1125 you get updated to 6.0.1203 whether you wanted it or not.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »
Well that has nothing to do with the WebRep as such that is a feature of the avast.setup if you use the change in add remove programs it also initiates a check for updates.

Had you simply uninstalled the WebRep from the avastUI, Additional Protection, WebRep and uninstall it from the browsers that is all that will be done, no update check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:29:06 PM »
Well that has nothing to do with the WebRep as such that is a feature of the avast.setup if you use the change in add remove programs it also initiates a check for updates.

Had you simply uninstalled the WebRep from the avastUI, Additional Protection, WebRep and uninstall it from the browsers that is all that will be done, no update check.
+1
Simply go to Additional Protection---hang on---WebRep is no longer listed under additional protection. What happened?

lefty_lucy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:39 PM »
Thanks everybody, but the first reply actually worked.  I now have Avast and not the annoying WebRep.  I love Avast, but I really don't want it popping up on my Google searches.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »

+1
Simply go to Additional Protection---hang on---WebRep is no longer listed under additional protection. What happened?

It is there on mine, I don't know if you have previously uninstalled it as in the first reply above ?
Then I would say that the WebRep element wouldn't be in the UI in the same way as any other uninstalled elements, like P2P and IM shields in my case.

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »
No I never uninstalled it. I just didn't install the plugins from the Additional Protection option. Actually , I did to try it and then uninstalled them again in Additional protection. I never touched the main program uninstaller. The option to reinstall them was still there but now WebRep isn't even listed.

When I run the uninstall/change , it has a red X in WebRep Plugin. It did that by itself because I originally chose to install them. I never used it anyway and don't intend to now, I just wanted to know why it would disappear by itself like that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:58:11 PM by Dch48 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 01:08:18 AM »
If it has the Red x in the add remove programs, change/remove, change then it has been uninstalled as a module (so no entry in the UI) not just uninstalled as an add-on in the avastUI for the browsers.

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:47 AM »
If it has the Red x in the add remove programs, change/remove, change then it has been uninstalled as a module (so no entry in the UI) not just uninstalled as an add-on in the avastUI for the browsers.
It was never uninstalled as a module but only through the UI as I said. It was showing a few days ago but now it's gone. For some reason and by some mysterious means, the program has completely uninstalled it on it's own.

Avastfan1

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »
Webrep is still installed on my version? ? ? ? ?